September 19, 2014

36 Weeks


How far along are you?  I am 36 weeks and 3 days pregnant today! 25 days left until our due date!

Gender: It's a BOY


How big is the baby? About 19.5 inches long and he is estimated to be 6 pounds and 7 ounces right now. Going to be gaining a half a pound a week from here on out! Doctor estimated him to be about 8-8.5 pounds at birth. From the ultrasound this last week, we could see is is a skinny little string bean with LONG legs in the 94th percentile! He also has some pretty chubby cheeks!

More about this week from Baby Center:


"Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds and is more than 18 1/2 inches long (about the size of a head of romaine lettuce). She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of her first bowel movement.


At the end of this week, your baby will be considered "early term." (Full-term is 39 to 40 weeks. Babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term, 41 weeks is late term, and those born after 42 are post-term.) Most likely your baby is already head-down. But if not, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an external cephalic version (ECV). That's a fancy way of saying that your practitioner will apply pressure to your abdomen to try to manipulate your baby into a head-down position."

Total Weight Gain: I am sitting at about 17 lbs right now. Pretty happy with my weight (goodness, never thought I would hear myself say that!). Knowing I have three weeks left, I feel good that I will probably only hit the 20 pound mark, which was my goal in the beginning of my pregnancy! I am SO incredibly confident in my ability to lose the weight and get in even better shape than before, so I am feeling more at ease about my weight gain.


How I’m feeling: My body is pretty achy these days, but nothing compared to how I feel emotionally. At my appointment this week, the doctor told me I was measuring smaller than I was two weeks ago. This could be due to many things: baby dropped, low fluid, leaking amniotic fluid, etc. I went back for an ultrasound this week and was told that if I was leaking or if my fluids were too low, that I needed to be prepared to be induced that day. So, mentally, I went in prepared to come home with a baby. As happy as I am to report baby is completely healthy and my fluids aren't low, I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly bummed. From day one, I have said I want a healthy baby (that is most important) and if I had things my way, I really want to go into labor on my own and have a regular delivery. Meaning, I don't want to be induced and I don't want a c-section. So, as bummed as I am that I have to wait a couple more weeks to meet my son, I am really glad that he is healthy and my delivery preferences are still on track. 

I just can't wait for the moment I get to meet my son and to see what he looks like. I feel like I have been waiting for the moment my entire life and it is SO close, yet seems so far away too. During the first trimester, I found myself super emotional, crying at literally everything. Happy, sad, exciting, frustrating...you name it, I cried. Emotions kind of dried up in the second and for most of the third trimester. But, now they are back. I get so emotional every day before work. My bathroom is right across the hall from his bedroom and each morning as I get ready, I peek in there and it gets me every time. For a while it was just a spare room where we kept our junk that we were too lazy to unpack. But now, its HIS room. His name is above the crib in wooden letters accompanied by the words "Dream Big, Little One", my husband's old baseball cards are on his shelves, his clothes are neatly folded in his dresser, his bedtime books are neatly organized and his little lamb stuffed animal is on his changing table. I don't know why, but it is SO emotional for me. I find myself in the mornings just standing over his crib thinking that in just a few short weeks, he will finally be here. I really can't wait. 

Maternity clothes: I have about a handful of items that fit me right now. I may have to start wearing things from my husbands side of the closet if my belly grows much more. 

Favorite workouts: Lots of walks. I am trying my best to walk on my lunch break when I can and also after work. I am still weight lifting with my husband occasionally too. I can tell my ligaments in my hips/groin area loosening up for baby. When I walk for long periods of time, it feels like something is about to dislocate or pull. I also get a LOT of contractions while working out, so I feel like I really need to be careful.

Stretch Marks: My tummy has a lot of veins, but, knock on wood, I don't think I haven any stretch marks yet. I have a lot of old ones from when I gained weight years ago, so it would not surprise me if I get new ones as I get bigger. 


Cravings: I feel like I could eat for a family of five lately. Pretty sad when I can out eat my husband at EVERY meal. When we used to cook, I used to give him the bigger piece of chicken, the bigger potato, etc. Now, its the opposite. So many cravings too. I have lots of cravings for fried food (EWW) and sugar!


Sleep:  I have been sleeping like a baby this week and I am loving every minute! I have been having some SUPER weird dreams though.
Best moment this weekWe got to see our little guy on the ultrasound this week. We haven't had an ultrasound since our 20 week appointment, so we loved seeing him again! I was happy to find out I am already starting to dilate and am 60% effaced too! He has dropped and is head down, perfect position for labor and delivery!

Movement: His movements are getting smaller since he is running out of room. He likes to stick his foot out of my right side! He has a lot of hiccups these days too! He is most active in the mornings when I am eating breakfast! Likes to sleep during the day!
Food aversions: I don't have too many food aversions lately. 
Belly button in or outIn still, but getting smaller by the day! Wouldn't surprise me if it disappeared soon!
What I Miss: I miss sleeping throughout the night without having to take 5+ bathroom breaks. I am up about once an hour each night to go to the bathroom.


What I’m looking forward to: I literally cannot wait to go into labor. If I knew how to start labor, I would. I am pretty convinced it won't happen for a few more weeks, but I really can't wait. 

Baby Buys: I am done buying for baby! We are as prepared as we are going to be!

Jess

1 comments: