May 30, 2014

Staying Fit While Pregnant



A big reason I wanted to lose weight in the first place was because I really wanted to have children one day. I didn't want to get to the point where I was ready to have children, and find out that my weight would be an issue. Before getting pregnant, I lost 55 lbs. I always thought, once I got pregnant, that I would just continue on with my normal workouts and healthy eating.

I was clueless as to what pregnancy would do to my body. In the first trimester, I was so tired. I could have slept around the clock if I could have. So the thought of getting up at 4:30 AM to get in my workouts made me sick. I would then try to get in my workouts in the evening. But by that time, after working a long day, I had no energy for a workout. I would start a workout, and find myself dizzy on the couch within 5 minutes.  I was so torn between wanting to stay fit and listening to my body. I knew my pre-pregnancy workouts were too much for my body to handle. I did some light walking in the evening, but that was about all my body could take.

I was also clueless as to how many food aversions I would have. I thought I would be able to suck it up and force myself to eat what I used to. In my first trimester, the thought of eating a vegetable or any sort of meat made me want to puke. Wasn't happening. If I would have forced myself, I really think I would have been physically ill. I ate what I could, drank protein shakes to get in extra protein and nutrients and juiced when I could. I lost 10 lbs in the first trimester.

I also was clueless on how awesome I would feel in the second trimester. My energy is back and my appetite is the size of the universe. I am able to do T25 again, go to the gym and lift with my husband, go on long walks and do some prenatal yoga at home. My husband and I went to the gym last night and did 10 minutes of speed walking and then lifted shoulders and triceps. I was amazed at how STRONG I felt and the fact I had the energy to complete the workout without having to sit down and take a break.

My biggest struggle at the moment is saying NO to the 'See Food' Diet. When I SEE FOOD, I instantly want to eat it ALL. I have really tried to not let myself get into the mindset of 'eating for two', but its hard when I feel like I could eat for a family of five. So hungry all the time! During the first trimester, you do not need any additional calories. During the second and third trimester, you only need an additional 300 calories a day. That isn't a lot! 300 calories is a large class of orange juice or a greek yogurt with granola. I seem to do fine all day, but in the evenings, I want to eat everything in my kitchen. I am doing my best to eat a larger dinner so I can fill up on clean healthy foods. Once about 8 pm hits, my sweet tooth is hungry for chocolate and sour gummy worms (which is weird because I have never really had a sweet tooth before). My trick is brushing my teeth and getting in bed! Getting away from the kitchen seems to help me get my mind off of food!

After losing 55 lbs, it has been really hard to adjust to gaining weight. I try to remind myself, it is healthy to gain weight during pregnancy. Its not all fat, its a growing baby, extra blood, the placenta and extra fluid.  Changing my mindset has truly been the hardest thing for me to do. But, I am learning! I never thought it would be difficult to stay on track with clean eating and exercise while pregnant. I actually thought it would be easier knowing you were supporting an extra life!

Just because it is difficult, doesn't mean it is impossible! I have asked my husband to help keep me accountable throughout this pregnancy. He is so good about working out with me, so it helps me keep on track! Doing my best to listen to my body, while pushing myself to continue to work hard.

Jess

1 comments:

  1. I came across your blog on FB (I am from Stanwood so we have a lot of mutual friends) and I love it! I feel like I found my twin! I too got pregnant right after getting married and losing 50 pounds! I know how you feel…it is so hard to get into the mindset that gaining weight is okay - but it will happen and then you get excited to lose the weight afterward. You will also come to realized that NO ONE works out the first trimester for the reasons you explained unless they are some freak of nature haha.

    My advice (if you want it) would be to give into your sweet tooth every once in a while - sometimes the baby might need an entire batch of brownies :) . And as long as you are being healthy for the most part everything will be fine. I freaked out my first trimester because I gained about 15-20 pounds - eating was the only thing that helped with my nausea. Then the second and most of the third trimester I gained nothing. My due date is this week and I have gained a total of 30 pounds. I I stopped counting calories a long time ago, I just try to listen to my body the best I can.

    Also, this might not happen for you, but for me around week 30 I lost all of my energy. It was first trimester all over again but with the added weight of a baby. Moving is hard! My husband has to help me out of bed at night to go to the bathroom and doing laundry feels like I ran a marathon. And walking up the stairs after a long day takes 2-3 times longer than normal. Eating is hard too because this is when you need the most calories for the baby, but the baby will be squishing your stomach so much that you will feel super full after eating a few bites.

    Keep up the good work!

    Tasha
    pehrsonality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete