May 2, 2014

I'm Pregnant!

If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you may have already heard the news! 

I'M PREGNANT! 

Tom and I are really excited to expand our family. We got married December 7th and we knew we wanted to expand our family soon after getting married. After we got home from our Honeymoon in the Bahamas, I started to feel verrrry tired. I thought my mono from the fall may had come back. I took a pregnancy test right after we got home and sadly it was negative. A few weeks later, I realized I was 5 days late. I knew I would be slightly bummed if it was negative again, so I decided to hold off for a few days. That Sunday, I decided to pick up a test at the store. It was one of the ones that blatantly say "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant". I took the test and Tom came into the bathroom with me and we stared at the test together. It felt like we waited forever for the test to give us an answer. "Pregnant". Tom and I looked at each other and I am pretty sure I just screamed. And screamed. And ran around our apartment...and screamed some more (happy screams of course). I was kind of in disbelief, so I decided to take another test, then run to the store to buy 5 more tests. Of course, I took them all....and they were all positive.

Happiness. That's all I can use to describe the feeling. Tom and I are going to be parents! Baby Dukes is due October 14th 2014. 

I have always wanted children and I feel so blessed to have children with my soul mate. I still have to pinch myself sometimes because I am over the moon about being pregnant. This little baby is so loved already!


The first trimester went by really slow for me. I was wanting to tell the entire world we were expecting, but knew it was better to wait until after the 12 week mark.  At 8 weeks, we got to go to the doctor and see our sweet baby on an ultrasound. At 10 weeks, I was feeling stressed and nervous about the pregnancy, so I went in to the doctor and I got to hear the baby's heart beat. Oh my, the most beautiful sound I have ever heard! I cry just thinking about it! At 12 weeks, we went back in for an ultrasound again. Amazing how much a baby grows and changes each week. At 8 weeks, the baby looked like a little gummy bear and by 12 weeks, it looked like an actual baby. At the 12 week appointment, the baby was moving around like crazy. So cool to see the baby move around, because at that point I could not feel any movement.

As of today, I am 16 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I am showing much more than I expected and as I am writing this, I just felt my sweet baby move for the first time. I keep pausing waiting for the baby to move again!

I have been a loyal reader of And Her Little Dog Too, and when she was pregnant, she documented each week. I find myself reading her blog each week to see what to expect. Such a great way to document your pregnancy and remember all of the little moments! I feel like I have been pregnant forever, but I know this time will go by so fast...and I want to remember every second of it!

How far along are you?  I am 16 weeks and 3 days.

How big is the baby? 4.5 inches and 3.5 ounces, the size of an avocado!

More about week 16 from Baby Center:

"Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop."

Total Weight Gain: I am actually down 5 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. Lost a total of 10 lbs in the first trimester since I had no appetite. 

Vitamins: I am taking these Prenatals and on the off days, I am drinking Shakeology. My doctor said I was ok to drink Shakeology daily if I wanted to and she actually ordered herself some too!

Stretch Marks: None yet, thankfully! I am using bio oil and Palmer's Cocoa Butter cream for stretch marks. If anyone has a good product to help reduce the chance of getting stretch marks, I would love to know!

How I’m feeling: I am feeling pretty good lately. Very tired in my first trimester but now I feel like I am getting my energy back! I do get headaches quite often, heart burn and I feel some cramping due to the fact my uterus is stretching so much. Other than that, I am feeling good! I do feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster though. I cry over almost everything, mostly happy things! It has been a struggle to get used to being bigger and having a tummy. I keep reminding myself, there is a baby in there, it isn't just fat!  I lost 55 lbs and I find myself pretty scared to gain a ton of weight during this pregnancy. Doing my best not to over indulge and to keep up with my exercising.

Maternity clothes: I have been wearing maternity clothes since about 11 weeks. I found my pants were really tight around 8 weeks and I used a belly band with my regular pants for a while. But, I found it didn't stay in place much and it wasn't too comfortable. When I first tried on maternity pants, I was in heaven!!! So comfortable and I love that they smooth over my belly! No bulging! I am still able to wear many of my regular shirts, but I am finding I prefer tighter clothes over loose clothing. A lot of my pre-pregnancy clothes were flowy shirts and now they just make me feel even bigger.

Favorite workouts: My doctor has told me to keep my heart rate below 160, so I am doing my best. I have a pretty high resting heart rate, so I struggle to do almost any high intensity cardio. I have been loving T25, doing the modified version and I have been doing prenatal yoga at home too. My husband and I try to go on walks after work in the evenings too!


Sleep: Sleep has been tough. I am to the point where I am not allowed to sleep on my stomach or my back, only my side. I used to be a back sleeper, so this has been an adjustment! I bought a Snoogle and it seems to be helping me sleep comfortable on my side. I have been waking up very early though, around 5 am in the morning!
Best moment this week: Hearing the baby's heart beat at our 16 week appointment and feeling the baby move!
Movement: I have felt no movement up until today. Feeling small movements that feel like a muscle twitch in my lower abdomen! Can't wait to feel the baby kick for the first time!
Food aversions: Meat. I can do a little bit of meat if it is in a sandwich or salad, but that is about it. 

Cravings: Loving decaf iced coffee, cheese and sweets! Also...have lots of cravings for Thai Fried Rice!
Belly button in or out: In.
What I Miss: Being able to fully workout and lift weights. I feel pretty limited.

What I’m looking forward to: I am looking forward to finding out the gender next month!

Milestone: Feeling the baby move today!

I am planning on posting each week to track of my pregnancy!




16 Weeks

16 Weeks

12 Week Bump
Happy Friday!


Jess

1 comments: