May 6, 2014

17 Weeks Pregnant



How far along are you?  I am 17 weeks today! 161 more days until we get to meet our sweet baby. Crazy to think this is my last week in the fourth month! Next week, I will be able to say I am five months pregnant! That's crazy! The bigger I get, the more real it gets for both my husband and I. I find myself reading my pregnancy books and lots of blogs about pregnancy and birth.

How big is the baby? 5 inches and 5 ounces, the size of an onion!


More about week 17 from Baby Center:


"Your baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. Your baby weighs 5 ounces now (about as much as a turnip), and she's around 5 inches long from head to bottom. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop."


Total Weight Gain: Still down 5lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. My tummy is getting bigger each week and is starting to feel heavy, so I do think some of this weight loss could be from losing muscle mass.


Vitamins: I am taking these Prenatals about three times a week and I am drinking Shakeology on the other days. 

Stretch Marks: None yet, thankfully! I am using bio oil and Palmer's Cocoa Butter cream for stretch marks.

How I’m feeling: I have had a lot of round ligament pain this week with heartburn. Seems like almost every time I eat, my upper tummy expands quite a bit and I get some heart burn. This is TMI, but oh well :) Along with the heartburn, I find myself getting really gassy in the evenings. My poor husband! Tummy rumbles like crazy. So gross and so uncomfortable! Also, I find that my baby bump gets bigger throughout the day, I am sure its just from eating/drinking! Other than those gross things, I am feeling pretty good! My energy is up for the most part and I am loving it! Last week, I finally gave in and started drinking coffee again. My doctor said I am fine having 8 ounces of black coffee each day. I have been making it in the morning, letting it cool and pouring it over ice with some almond milk and vanilla extract. I drink a little in the morning and save the rest for an afternoon pick-me-up! The only bad thing about coffee is that I find myself drinking less water throughout the day. Gotta work on that! My appetite is back in full force. I find myself starving, then eating two bites of something and instantly feeling really full! Definitely trying to eat smaller portions more often!

Maternity clothes: Can I just say one thing? Maternity clothes ROCK! Only problem is...they are so hard to find! My husband and I go shopping almost ever weekend lately looking for maternity clothes. There is only one store at our local mall that has maternity clothes and they have a tiny selection and are ridiculously expensive. I refuse to spend $80 on a shirt that will only fit me for a few months! I was able to find a couple cheaper items at Target and Marshall's. So many people tell me to just buy regular clothes in a bigger size. The only problem with that is that the shirts are usually too big everywhere but the tummy area and too short. Last thing I want is for everyone to see the bottom of my belly hanging out in my maternity pants! Also, I have no idea how big my tummy is going to get, so its hard to buy clothes right now because I am afraid they won't fit in a month or two! I am learning to  deal with my small wardrobe and keep reminding myself that I only have to deal with it for a few more months!

Favorite workouts: My doctor has told me to keep my heart rate below 160, so I am doing my best. I have a pretty high resting heart rate, so I struggle to do almost any high intensity cardio. I have been loving T25, doing the modified version and I have been doing prenatal yoga at home too. My husband and I try to go on walks after work in the evenings too!


Sleep:  My Snoogle is officially my favorite pregnancy purchase thus far. My husband might kill me for sharing this, but he loves the Snoogle too and was even complaining that they don't make Snoogles for men! It is SO comfortable to sleep with! I have been doing my best to sleep on my side, rather than my back. The last few nights, I have been sleeping much better. Still having really weird dreams, but thankfully I am having less nightmares. The other night, I had a dream I was doing weird obstacle competitions over the ocean with the cast of American Idol. Strange, but I might add I came in second place in my dream :) Can you tell we watch too much reality TV? I am still waking up pretty early. This is the first time in my life that I wake up before my alarm during the work week and that I wake up before 7AM on the weekends. Can't complain! I am enjoying waking up early on the weekends so I can get my Lifetime Movie fix before my husband wakes up!
Best moment this weekFeeling the baby move throughout the week. Still hard for me to differentiate between stomach rumbles and baby movements, but I am learning!
MovementI have felt movement a couple times this last week. Hard to tell if I am not paying attention to feeling the movements!
Food aversions: Still meat. I can do a little bit of meat if it is in a sandwich or salad, but that is about it. 

Cravings: Gluten free macaroni and cheese. 

I had a new all time low this week. I had a really bad craving for this specific macaroni and cheese. If you are allergic to gluten, you will know how difficult it is to find GOOD gluten free macaroni. The deli at our grocery store carries really good fresh gluten free macaroni and cheese. Not healthy at all, but I allow this in moderation. When my husband and I went grocery shopping on Sunday, I had my mind set on macaroni for lunch. Went to the store only to find that they didn't have it. My sweet husband even asked the deli employee to double check that there was none in the back. When the man came out and told us they were out, I cried. Yep, I wasn't lying when I said this was an all time low. I cried in the middle of the grocery store because they did not have my macaroni. I then started laughing, while still crying, because I could not believe I was actually crying. Sometimes I feel like I literally have NO control over my emotions! Now, my husband jokingly reminds me each time we go grocery shopping, not to cry if they are out of something haha. Gotta love these pregnancy hormones!
Belly button in or outIn.
What I Miss: Being able to sit up normally. I feel like such an old lazy woman each time I have to ask my husband to help me off the couch! I get so dizzy when I stand straight up! I always forget that I need to get up a little slower. Also, really craving foods I shouldn't eat like deli meat, certain cheeses and gluten. I find myself craving the foods I can't eat!

What I’m looking forward to: I am looking forward to finding out the gender next month! We have started to look at nursery furniture too (crib, dresser, rocking chair, etc). Really looking forward to getting everything and setting up the nursery!

Baby Buys: So far, the only thing we have purchased for the baby is a stroller. After lots of researching, asking other moms and looking at the store, we decided on The Graco Relay Jogger. I initially was not planning on buying a jogger because they are heavy and bulky. But, the more I talked to other moms, they told me I would regret that decision. I initially was set on getting the Bob stroller, but when we found this Graco stroller, we realized they were very similar, yet this one was $100 dollars cheaper (and we got an extra 20% off). I love the color of this stroller, it moves so smoothly and it had great reviews. For the bigger items, we are planning on buying gender neutral. We are hoping to have more than one child, so I want to buy quality items that can be used for many years to come!

The more I start researching baby items, the more overwhelmed I get. Can you say EXPENSIVE?! Yikes. I keep feeling like I really need to start slowly buying the big ticket items, that way I can spread out the expenses, rather than feeling like I will have a long list to purchase right before the baby arrives. I am clearly a newbie, do people usually starting accumulating baby things soon? Or do most people wait until after their baby shower? Help!

Milestone: We signed up for Childbirth classes! Thankfully, a coworker recommended looking into them and signing up soon because they were almost all full! Class isn't until August, but we are really looking forward to it!

Jess

Connect with me:
mrsdukesfitspo@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment