October 22, 2013

Supersets



Last night was one of those nights that I just wanted to cook dinner and relax.  My weekend's are so busy lately, full of wedding planning! Tom and I agreed earlier in the day that we would go to the gym in the evening together.  We planned on doing a short cardio session followed by three tricep/chest supersets.

When I got home, going to the gym was the last thing I wanted to do!  I complained to Tom about not wanting to go to the gym and his response was, "You don't have to go, but I am still going".  I figured there was no point to skip the gym if he was still planning on going.  Plus, I told him I would go with him!

We walked together to the gym, did a short cardio session and then did chest press with dumbells, tricep pull downs, flys, tricep dips, incline chest press and tricep extensions.  We went to the gym with a plan, supersetted our workouts, took very few breaks and we were in and out in less than 30 minutes.  My arms felt like noodles when we left the gym.

Sometimes I forget that workouts don't have to be hours long.  You don't have to go to the gym twice a day or do hours of cardio to get a good workout.  Before I met Tom, I had no idea what a 'superset' was.  A superset is when you perform two exercises without a break in between.  For example, last night we supersetted dumbell chest press with tricep pulldowns.  So I did 12 reps on the chest press, switched and did 12 reps on the tricep pulldown and did this three times.

Last night's workout:

Eliptical for 10 minutes

Superset #1 (3 sets)
12 reps dumbell chest press
12 reps tricep pulldowns

Superset #2 (3 sets)
12 reps chest flys
12 reps tricep dips

Superset #3 (2 sets)
12 reps incline chest press
12 reps tricep extension

Supersets are a great way to increase the intensity of your workouts and also to shock your muscles if you are experiencing a plateau. I feel like I get a better workout when I superset my lifts because my heart rate stays elevated longer and my muscles don't get a break in between lifts.  I also love that it saves so much time! I once read another blog and the woman mentioned how she doesn't workout more than 30 minutes a day (and she looks great!).  I never understood how that was possible, until now.

The only bad workout is the one you didn't do! So glad I went to the gym last night.  Only took 30 minutes to get a great workout!

Jess

1 comments:

  1. Love this! I argue with myself about running all the time and I've been running for 15 years! You can make progress in 30 minutes and feel great afterward. It's that first step out the door that's the hardest.

    ReplyDelete