July 31, 2013

Weight Lifting


In the past few weeks, I have spent more time lifting weights than I have doing cardio.  I used to be a cardio queen.  Hour on the elliptical, followed by fifteen minutes of weight lifting.  My initial goal was to burn fat and lose weight, then I figured I could focus on lifting weights and toning up.  In the last month or so, even though I have not lost any weight, I am noticing changes in my body. My body is starting to get a little bit of definition.  I can see muscles I have never been able to see before.  

Maybe I am not losing weight because I am building muscle, which weighs less than fat.  Maybe I truly am plateauing.  Not really sure at this point.  But I am really liking the changes I can see in myself ever since I have started weight lifting more. 

I posted this picture above for two reasons.  First was just to show my progress in the last six months.  Second was to prove that lifting weights is not going to make you look like a huge body builder.  I was talking to a girl a few months back about exercising.  She wanted to get in shape again and said she was going to start running a few days a week.  I mentioned lifting weights and she laughed.  She told me she is already muscular and weight lifting will make her look huge.  What girls don't realize is weight lifting can actually help you lose weight.  The more muscle you have on your body, the more calories your body will burn at rest.  Weight lifting will help you lose weight and it won't make you look big and bulky!

Happy Gymming!

Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment