May 21, 2013

Protein Packed Snack

One of my biggest struggles when it comes to my diet is getting enough protein and eating on the go.  I tend to be on the go a lot and I'll admit it, I have been really bad at planning and packing snacks to go.  After a long day of running around, I am starving because I haven't had anything to eat and I haven't had enough protein.  This usually leads me to eat anything in sight once I get home because I am so hungry.  Diet fail. 

I really struggle to come up with good, healthy, protein packed, gluten free snacks that I can pack in my purse and take with me on the go.  In the last few weeks, I have noticed that my boyfriend always has protein bars, protein powder or some sort of granola bar with him at all times.  In his pockets, his car, at home, at work, no matter where he is, he has access to protein filled snacks. There is no excuse why I can't do the same thing.

I am usually pretty good about packing protein powder and a banana with me for after the gym.  But why not buy an extra container of protein to put in my car or keep in my desk at work? That way I have no excuse to eat poorly when I am in the mood to snack at work or on the go.

I have also been keeping my eye out for a gluten free protein bar that actually tastes good.  On Instagram, I see a lot of people raving about Quest Protein bars.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out they are gluten free, have over 20 grams of protein, under 200 calories and 17 grams of fiber.  Not bad!

This weekend, I stopped at GNC and bought four bars to try out.  The only one I have tried so far is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.  This bar is gluten free, 190 calories, 8 grams of fat, 17 grams of fiber and 21 grams of protein.  First bite was ok.  Tasted kind of like your typical protein bar, pretty dense and dry.  The guy at GNC said I should try microwaving the bar for 10 seconds and it will make a big difference.  So, I gave that a try today. WOW, SO GOOD! Literally tasted like I was eating a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie.  For someone who has not ate gluten for a year or any sort of real tasting cookie, this was really delicious.  Perfect protein packed, gluten free snack for on the go!

Can't wait to try the rest of the Quest protein bar flavors, perfect to kick my sweet tooth and get in my protein for the day.

Jess

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog on Aloha Friday great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog!!
    Now following.
    looking forward to getting to know you and keeping up!

    I am doing a free blog design giveaway. Check it out! :)

    xo
    Christina
    pieceitalltogetherx3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete