April 3, 2013

Coffee Creamer Substitute

Everyone knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gets your metabolism started and it is actually beneficial for weight loss.  Before I found out I am allergic to gluten and became more health conscious  breakfast was no problem for me.  I started my morning out with my coffee (with a TON of vanilla coffee creamer) and toast lathered up in butter.  Breakfast was not an issue for me because I was eating comfort food, which is not a good way to start out the day!

Ever since I removed gluten from my diet, I have struggled to find items for breakfast.  Although they do have gluten free breads and cereals, I really try to stay away from any product that isn't naturally gluten free.  So that means no bread, muffins, doughnuts, cereal or oatmeal.  Lately, my go-to breakfast items are my Egg Nests (without the cheese) or a Chobani Greek yogurt and a banana. Both are high in protein, low in fat and keep me satisfied throughout the morning.

But what do I do when I just don't feel like eating breakfast? Some mornings, I am just not in the mood to eat breakfast, just doesn't sound appetizing, but I know its best for me not to skip out on the most important meal of the day.

So, that's when I discovered that protein powder can be substituted for coffee creamer.  I usually make my coffee with vanilla soy milk and sweet and low.  But vanilla protein powder is a great substitute! One scoop of protein powder in my coffee only adds 85 calories, 1 carb and 18 grams of protein! It fills me up without actually having to eat something.  Then later on in the morning, I can snack on a banana or something.

I have found many different ways of incorporating protein protein powder into my meals. When I eat Greek yogurt, I always have to add sweet and low because it is so sour.  Vanilla protein powder is a great substitute for that as well!  I also love to cool my coffee to room temperature, toss it in my blender, add protein powder and ice and blend it up.  Makes vanilla blended coffee, so good!

I posted a picture of my coffee and protein and was surprised by how many people hadn't tried it! So just wanted to share it with you all :)

Hope you enjoy!

Jess
Starbucks Iced coffee and Vanilla Whey Protein
Coffee, Soy Milk, Vanilla Whey Protein and Ice

Chobani yogurt, two egg whites and half a grapefruit

0 comments:

Post a Comment