March 4, 2013

Weekend Full of Wins

I hope you all had a great weekend! My weekend was better than I could have ever hoped.  For the past two weeks, I have been dreading this very weekend. Why you ask?  Two weeks ago my Dad invited me over to have dinner with him and his soon to be wife. If you have been reading my blog, you will know it has been almost two years since I last saw them.  Ever since my parents divorce, I have struggled to get along with him. Crazy to think he lives five miles away from me and less than a mile from my Mom, and I haven't seen him.

For the last two weeks, I have asked the girls in my bible study to pray for me.  Even though I had an invite to dinner, I wasn't sure if I was ready to see him yet.  I just needed a sign that this is what I was supposed to do.  One night last week, I was chopping vegetables for my pico de gallo and a girl called into the radio station I was listening to at the time.  She said she had just reconnected with her Dad after many years and was so thankful she did.  Life is short, you never know when something can happen or when you'll see someone again. That was the only sign I needed.So I made my mind up, I was going to see my Dad. Two years is a long time and I spent the entire week worry that they would think I was fat.  Last time they saw me, I was much thinner.  I was nervous that the conversation would be dull or a topic about the divorce would be brought up.  Too many unknowns for me. Also, I always feel slightly guilty about seeing one parent or another. My Dad has always felt like I chose my Mom over him and I feel guilty seeing my Dad because I don't want my Mom to think I am choosing my Dad over her.  So complicated.


Saturday rolled around.  I made gluten free caramel cheesecake bites to take over for dessert and a bottle of Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon.  To my surprise, it was slightly refreshing to see my Dad. Conversation was great, he cooked a delicious steak oscar, baked potato, salad and asparagus. He seemed genuinely happy to see me and we agreed to see each other more often.

On Sunday, I went to my little cousins birthday party at my Aunt's house. The moment I have been waiting for since I started this journey finally happened. Everyone noticed my weight loss. My uncle even said he now feels inspired to maybe go to the gym or start using the elliptical he owns. So cool. Unless I look at old pictures of myself, I sometimes struggle to see progress.  I see myself everyday, so its hard to notice week to week or month to month changes.  Felt really good to have other people notice my hard work. Gives me a little extra push to workout a little harder and eat a little better.

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home to buy some ingredients for black bean chicken tacos.  Like I have said before - fail to plan, plan to fail!  So I stayed up late cooking black bean chicken tacos, chopping tomatoes and putting everything in little plastic bags to take to work for lunches. I love meal prepping lately because it leaves no room for me to make excuses for myself during the week. 

After a good weekend, I was happy to wake up to a three pound weight loss. I have been weighing myself less frequently lately and was happy to see movement on the scale.  I am now at the lowest weight I have been in almost two years.  Go me! 

New goal for this week, and hopefully a new habit for me: No wine during the week! Sometimes I forget that wine is a treat and not so healthy for me.  I enjoy a glass of wine here and there during the week while I watch my girly tv shows.  But this week, I am going wine free and will leave my wine for the weekend!  Hoping this will help shed extra weight.

Hope you all had a great weekend and hope you have a great week!

Jess

Be sure to follow me on Instagram: @JRTRUNR


Sunday Morning
Saturday Morning breakfast with a friend
Friday morning breakfast - two egg whites, Chobani and half a grapefruit
Sunday morning coffee and sunshine

0 comments:

Post a Comment