March 21, 2013

Gluten Free Turkey Spaghetti Squash



Tonight, I wanted to incorporate spaghetti squash into my dinner.  I bought one last weekend and I need to use it! So I thought about doing spaghetti with the spaghetti squash and adding lean ground turkey to give it some added protein.  I kind of made up this meal as I went and I was surprised at how good it turned out.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • 1/2 lb of lean ground turkey
  • 2 cups marinara sauce
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and Pepper
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Microwave the whole spaghetti squash for 3 minutes.  This softens the spaghetti squash so it is easier to cut in half.
  3. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. 
  4. Place face down on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
  5. While spaghetti squash is baking, place ground turkey in a frying pan over medium high heat.  Season with salt and pepper. Break up the turkey meat with a spatula.  Cook until turkey is no longer pink. I cooked mine for about 5 minutes.
  6. Once turkey meat is cooked thoroughly, add in two cups of marinara sauce.  I used about two cups, but you can add more or less depending on how thick you prefer your spaghetti sauce.
  7. Place the turkey spaghetti sauce mixture into a blender and blend until fairly smooth.  I used my Magic Bullet for this and it worked great. My sauce turned out fairly thick, but worked great.
  8. Once the spaghetti squash is cooked, use a fork to scoop out the insides and place it in a bowl.  
  9. Add turkey spaghetti sauce to the spaghetti squash and top with a little bit of Parmesan cheese.
  10. Enjoy!
Another very simple recipe, but it really tasted great. This meal works great as leftovers too!

Hope you enjoy!

Jess


0 comments:

Post a Comment