March 4, 2013

Gluten Free Black Bean Chicken Tacos


I was in a bit of a time crunch, trying to figure out something I could eat for dinner and that would be good for leftovers for the next day at work - and gluten free!  So, I decided to whip up some Black Bean Chicken Tacos.

Ingredients:
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning (gluten free if needed)
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 can of black beans - drained
  • Corn Taco Shells
My Toppings:
  • 1/2 wedge Laughing Cow Queso Fresco (Only 35 calories a wedge!)
  • Shredded Lettuce
  • Chopped Tomatoes

Optional Toppings:
  • Sour Cream
  • Salsa
  • Cheese 
  • Tomato - chopped
  • Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
  • Avocado
  • Onion
Directions:
  1. Add chicken breasts to boiling water and boil for 12-15 minutes (I usually cut into my chicken after 12 minutes see if it is cooked thoroughly).
  2. Remove chicken from water and let it cool for five minutes.
  3. Once chicken is cool enough to handle, shred chicken and place in a large frying pan on medium-low heat.
  4. Add taco seasoning, 1/2 cup of water and one can of black beans.
  5. Cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Optional: heat taco shells in oven at 300 degrees for 5 minutes. 
  7. Assemble tacos and enjoy!

The best part about tacos is that you can dress them up any way you would like.  Usually, I love cheese and sour cream on my tacos.  This time, however, I bought Laughing Cow Queso Fresco wedges.  I used about half a wedge on each taco which is less than 20 calories.  Great replacement for cheese and sour cream!  Salsa would be another great option.  This recipe would be great with lean ground beef or turkey as well!

I took these tacos to work for lunch and they were great! I chopped up tomatoes and lettuce and put them in Ziploc bags which made it easy to take to work.  For snacks, I brought an organic banana, vanilla chobani yogurt and carrots with a little bit of ranch.

Hope you enjoy!

Jess

Meal Prepping

0 comments:

Post a Comment