February 4, 2013

Focus On The Good

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  My weekend didn't turn out how I expected it to. I would love to blog about it and vent but it probably wouldn't be very productive or nice.  So, I would like to share a few good things from my weekend so I can forget about the bad stuff.

1. I met up with a friend on Friday night for dinner. I hadn't seen this friend since August and it felt like we hadn't skipped a beat.  Chatted for hours and caught up with one another.  Its nice to know I have good people in my life.  People who want the best for me and are happy to see me succeed.

2. I got to sleep in Saturday morning.  I usually always set an alarm for myself, even on the weekends.  But this weekend I allowed myself to sleep in and just wake up whenever I felt like.


3. I was able to spend Saturday morning just relaxing on the couch, watching Grey's Anatomy and snuggling with my dogs. Sometimes it is the simplest things that make me the happiest.  I don't feel like I get a lot of time to just lay with them on the couch and snuggle them, so when I do, it makes me really happy.

Sadie and I
Sadie girl
4. I took myself shopping on Saturday.  My clothes don't really fit me anymore and its really time I try to find new clothes. Although I didn't buy anything, I felt really good trying clothes on.  Everything fit. I was able to wear jeans from the Juniors section. A year ago, I hate to even admit this, but my pants were a 14/16.  Now, I can easily fit into an 8/10. I still have a long ways to go, but that is progress, huge progress.  I used to hate buying jeans because I was dreading the day I would realize that I had to shop in the plus size section.  But now, I fit into clothes at regular stores and am no where near the biggest size the store carries.  All of the tops I tried on were size small.  I used to struggle to fit in extra larges because my arms and shoulders were so big.  Sometimes I struggle to see my progress and I get so fixated on how much more weight I want to lose.  But lately, shopping brings me clarity and shows that I am making progress and I should be proud of that.

Old jeans - too big now
5. After shopping, I treated myself to some coffee from Starbucks.  I usually brew my own coffee from home, so when I do go to Starbucks, its always a treat!

6. I got to hang out with my Mom.  We went to a market and found some cool Asian foods to try.  We grabbed happy hour together and just talked.  I vented to her and had one of those 'ah ha' moments and got some clarity.  She helps remind myself that I deserve good things and good people in my life.  Don't settle for mediocre because life is just too short. I had sangria and we both had chicken Caesar salads that were out of this world, so good!

Candy from the market

7. I went to Church on Sunday morning.  When I walked in the door, a girl shook my hand to welcome me and she complimented me on my makeup. 

8. Went to a family friend's house to watch the Superbowl. It was low key, but I had a really great time. We started planning a few trips for the spring and summer.  Pretty excited about that.

This weekend had a lot of lows for me, but I am happy that I am able to focus on the good.  Big learning lesson this weekend and a big reminder that I deserve good things and good relationships in my life.  The cool thing I realized is that I can choose the things and people I allow in my life.  I can be selective and choose good things for myself because I deserve good things. 

I spent time with people who love me for me.  I realized that I have been settling for far less than I deserve. I found happiness in the simple things.  I refuse to focus on the bad stuff or let certain things get me down.  So, I choose to focus on the good stuff, the stuff that makes me smile. 

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Jess

1 comments:

  1. Congrats on the old clothes not fitting any more (the good way lol)...that is no small feat!

    ReplyDelete