February 26, 2013

Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail

I don't know how many times in the past I have tried to lose weight.  Even when I was at my lowest weight, I have always wanted to slim down and tone up.  Every time I would start a new diet plan or exercise regimen, I would always quit for one reason or another.  Diet and exercise was always so time consuming so I never followed through.  I would usually have a mental plan for myself, wake up early, exercise and eat right.  But the second my alarm would go off in the morning, I would press snooze and go back to sleep thinking I would exercise after work.  After work would come around and I would head home with every intention of going to the gym.  Once I would get home, I would realize I was too tired and would make excuses for myself.  Just like going to the gym, I would always try to eat healthy. I would tell myself I would go to the store at lunch and pick up a salad or something healthy.  But the second I would get the invite to go to lunch with a coworker, my entire plan would fly out the window.

In my head, I thought I had a plan.  But I was never prepared so I always found loop holes in my plan.  I think the main thing that separates this time around  and all of the other times I have tried and failed is the fact that I plan and prepare.  If you fail to plan, you are setting yourself up for failure.

I give myself extra time in the evenings to plan for the next day.  During the day, I figure out what I am going to cook in the evenings.  I make sure that everything I cook can be used as leftovers and I always make sure to cook enough to have leftovers. After cooking in the evening, I put the extras into Tupperware for the next day. This way, I have no excuse not to take my lunch and be tempted to go out to lunch with coworkers.  Also, I always make sure to have prepackaged foods and chopped vegetables on hand like Chobani yogurt, hard boiled eggs, individual packaged hummus, chopped celery, nut thins and protein powder.  These are all great items to take to work to snack on during the day or even toss in your purse for when you are out and about.  I plan out every snack and meal so I leave no loop holes for myself.  As for my water consumption, I plan for that as well.  I keep a water bottle on me at all times.

When it comes to working out and taking supplement, I plan for that too! Each evening, I get all of my gym stuff together.  Running pants, Nikes, socks, shirt, sports bra, hair ties, hairspray, headphones, makeup remover - you name it, I pack it! I also measure out my protein powder and creatine in my blender bottle.  I put my blender bottle and my BCAAs in my workout bag along with all of my workout gear.  For the supplements that I take in the morning, I put them next to my coffee pot so I remember to take them.  If I leave them in the cupboard  I will forget about them! Packing all of this stuff in the evening may seem time consuming, but it makes it so I have no excuse not to go to the gym after work.  I dont get to go home after work and use the excuse of being too tired, or going to work and say I forgot my workout clothes.  No excuses!

At first, I hated planning and preparing because I thought it took so long in the evening. Cooking, packing, prepping - who has time for that?! But then I realized, having a plan is the only way to succeed.  I eliminate all excuses when I plan for the next day.

Fail to plan, plan to fail!

Jess

Meal Prepping!


Sadie and I watching the Bachelor
Mia :) 


1 comments:

  1. Planning ahead is very crucial during any fitness journey. You got this chick!

    ReplyDelete