January 4, 2013

Mistakes Are Proof You're Trying

First off, last night was beyond amazing.  I got to spend time with a group of Godly women that were so incredibly gracious and welcoming. I am really thankful I made the decision to go for it and to reach out to them to see if I could join their group.  I have spent the last several months trying to make new friends.  Not sure what I was expecting, but to my surprise, didn't really make any.  People don't leave their house everyday with intentions of going out and meeting a new friend.  Friendships just happen.  I can't wait around for someone to come and try to be my friend. Eventually I have to put myself out there, get involved in more activities and get out of my comfort zone a little bit.  So thankful I went last night, looking forward to going again next week.

Confession time.

After my long day yesterday, well, I was starving.  I drank a protein shake on the way to meet with the girls last night, but by the time I was heading home I was very hungry.  Realizing I didn't have much to eat at home and that I didn't have time to cook, I went to the grocery store.  Not my smartest decision.  Well, I bought food that I was slightly craving.  Figured, I can give in and eat things I want as long as I don't eat too much of it. Right?

Well, once I was finished eating, I filled out my Food Journal.  Ok, I wasn't going to admit to what I ate last night, but since this blog is supposed to keep me accountable, I will tell you, so please don't judge.  I ate those deliciously unhealthy cheddar little smokies.  I have been having a craving for beef jerky so when I saw them, they looked good.  Figured if I just ate a couple I would be ok, plus they have 7g of protein per serving. 

That was embarrassing to admit. Moving right along. So, I started to fill out my Food Journal. Under amount, I wrote ten (yikes - in my defense, they are small). Then, I looked at the packaging and saw that a serving size is only five.  FIVE?! That seems like nothing.  So 160 calories, 14 grams of fat (ouch), 2 grams of carbohydrates, 0 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein - then multiply that by TWO since I ate ten of them.  

The whole point I am trying to make is that after eating 320 calories and 28 grams of fat, I was not satisfied and still hungry.  Had I chose to eat a serving of chicken for 120 calories, 2 grams of fat and 26 grams of protein, I would have been much more satisfied. 

When reading nutrition labels, I usually just look to see if it is gluten free, then check calories and protein.  But I am realizing that there is a lot more on that nutrition label that I need to pay attention to.  Most of all, serving size is so important.  The nutrition count is based on a specific portion of food.  I am beginning to realize that the serving size for a lot of the foods I eat is a lot smaller than I would have guessed.  I am going to start portioning out my food before eating.  Rather than sticking my hand in a bag of food, I am going to put it in a bowl so I can control the amount I am eating. 

I am also going to make a "snack bin" and fill it with healthy, pre-portioned snack items. I find when I am on the go, or just need something small to snack on in between meals, it would be nice to have snack pre-made and ready to go. I am going to pre-portion my snacks by putting them in small ziplock baggies. My snack bin is going to include low fat string cheese, baby carrots, bananas, almonds, celery sticks with peanut butter and yogurt.  

This journal is teaching me so much.  After last nights learning lesson, I feel like I am making better eating choices today.  This morning I had a Chobani greek yogurt and put a half scoop of protein powder in my coffee which totals 185 calories, .5 grams of fat, 15.5 carbs and 28 grams of protein.  Those are calories well spent. I also plan on chewing gum when I am bored. Not sure if this will help, but worth a try!

Making changes every day with the goal of improving my life. Mistakes are proof you're trying.

Jess

Protein on the way to my small group
Coffee + 1/2 scoop of whey protein

0 comments:

Post a Comment