January 24, 2013

Joining A New Gym

I worked out with my trainer the last two days.  We did full body workouts both days, meaning, I am incredibly sore. My chest, my hips, my butt, my shoulders, my back - you name it, its sore.  I am sore because I am working really hard.  Yesterday, I was doing leg extensions and I noticed my upper thighs, which have always been one of my least favorite parts of my body.  But now, my thighs are rock hard, very strong and I am starting to see definition in them.

When I first started this journey, I thought I could reach my goal doing lots of cardio, thinking I could run off all of this fat and somehow in the process gain muscle.  The extent of my weight lifting was lifting 10 lbs weights at home in front of the tv, while eating junk food.  But now, I feel like I have really gained a love for lifting.  I still like my cardio, but it doesn't even come close to my love for lifting.  I have seen the most change in my body since I started lifting heavier weights at lower reps.

After this weekend, I felt a little bummed, kind of in a funk. Usually, when this happens, I like to make changes in my life.  So, in order to boost my confidence a little bit, I decided to get a spray tan.  My tanning salon was having a great promotion so I couldn't pass it up.  I find it so crazy how a little spray tan can really boost my confidence.  I feel like I look better in all of my clothes and my muscles look more defined.  Feels really good.

I made one more change this week.  I have mentioned that I really want to work up enough courage to join a new gym.  It sound so stupid, but I have a lot of anxiety about changing gyms.  The one I go to now is very small, no group fitness classes, only ten dollars a month and also about 25 minutes away from where I live.  I never have to worry about running into people I know because it is far away from where I live.  But the downside is that there isn't a huge variety of equipment, their weekend hours are limited and I really wish they had group fitness classes.  There are a couple of gyms close to my place, but I know that I will run into people I know.  When I am working out, I usually have no makeup on and I am sweating out of control.  The last thing I want to do is run into people I went to high school with.

Although this give me anxiety, I know my workouts could really benefit from joining a bigger gym that is closer to home.  I could have more variety in my workouts and I could workout longer because I wouldn't have to drive so far to get to the gym.  So yesterday, I found a really great deal for a brand new gym opening this weekend that is 5 minutes from my place.  I guarantee I will know someone who works out there, but I have decided that my workouts are worth it.  Plus, I have enough confidence in myself now to face people I know at the gym.  I no longer feel like the fat girl trying to lose weight at the gym.  I am strong, I have muscle and just like everyone else at the gym, I am working to improve my body.

The gym opens this Saturday and I am really looking forward to going and joining a few group fitness classes.  I am sick of letting my insecurities and anxiety hold me back from opportunities that could really benefit me.

I am really looking forward to this change.  Life is good - I am focusing on myself and best of all, I am happy.

Jess

1 comments:

  1. Hello, my old Twitter friend. Long time, no see. Nice post! Following! :)))

    ReplyDelete