January 9, 2013

Gym Motivation of the Day

Being overweight sucks. No question about it.  I could list a million in one reasons about how awful it feels to be overweight.

When I workout with my trainer, I find myself talking/complaining about how much it hurts. She always stops me and says, 'What kind of hurt?'.  I always respond with, 'A good kind of hurt!'.  She laughs and tells me that we like that kind of pain.

The pain of being overweight and the pain of exercising are totally different types of pain.  Being overweight is not only physically painful, but emotionally and mentally as well.  I understand that there are people who are overweight and have all the happiness and confidence in the world - and that is great.  But for me, I don't feel that way.  Physically, everything is harder when you're overweight - walking up stairs and getting winded, not being able to run, not being able to bend over and tie your shoes, clothes don't fit and its harder to stay on your feet for extended periods of time.  Mentally and emotionally, it is just as painful - feeling unattractive, having low confidence, not feeling worthy of good things, feeling like the fat friend/sister, not being able to shop at regular stores, struggling to find clothes to fit, not wanting to do certain activities because of your size.  These lists could go on and on. Not speaking for everyone, but for me and myself, being overweight is absolutely miserable and I can't find one good thing to say about it.

There are days when I am tired, when I am lazy and the last thing I feel like doing is going to the gym.  But then I remember how much it sucks to be fat and how much I hate it.  Yes, working out is hard and it is a big time commitment, but isn't it worth it?! Working out hurts, you're sweating, out of breath and your muscles burn.  But that is what we call a 'good' hurt. I have learned to love the burn and love the pain of working out.  Its like I can feel my muscles growing and my fat melting off.

The good pain outweighs the bad pain.  I would rather sacrifice my nights and weekends at the gym than spend one more minute being overweight.  I still have moments where I feel fat and overweight, but for the most part, I am beginning to see a new me.  While getting ready for work this morning, I thought to myself, this whole losing weight thing sucks, none of my clothes fit.  I stopped right there.  What a fantastic problem to have :)  I am to the point that I need to go shopping and get new clothes for work because my dress pants literally barely stay up. The shorts I wear to bed that I have been wearing forever no longer stay up.  My shirts still fit the same basically, but my pants are way too big.

Tonight, I am meeting with my trainer and I am beyond excited.  Can't wait to kick some butt! I hope I never feel overweight again because I really love the new me - happy and strong!

Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment