January 2, 2013

Goal Tools

From day one, I have said that I don't want to go on a diet. I don't want to count calories or restrict food or alcohol. But I am slowly realizing that if I want to lose weight, I need to do something about my eating habits. I have been reading a book called the Beck Diet Solution. This book is awesome. I am not planning on following this book completely, but I did find a few tools in the book that I really want to incorporate into my life.

First, Goal Reminder cards. Get some 3x5 blank note cards and write down one reason you want to reach your goal. For me, some of them would be:

  1. I want to be able to look amazing in a wedding dress one day.
  2. I want to feel good about the way I look in the mirror.
  3. I want confidence.
  4. I don't want to be embarrassed by my size when I am with friends and family.
  5. I want to be able to wear dresses, shorts and a bikini this summer.
  6. I don't want to use my weight as an excuse anymore.
  7. I want to run a marathon.

My list could go on and on. The point of these cards is to remind yourself why you are working hard and what you are working for. I plan to hole punch my note cards and bind them together so I can carry them with me where ever I go. The book recommends to read these cards daily. I am going to try to read my cards daily and also use them as a tool when I am struggling.

The next tool is a Hunger Monitoring Chart. This chart shows the time of day, how your stomach feels and your hunger strength. Idea behind this is to determine if you are actually hungry or just bored. When I first read part of this book last year, the book asks the reader how often they feel hungry. Like actually hungry, stomach growling hungry. My answer: absolutely never. I used to, and still do sometimes, eat constantly in fear of becoming hungry. Before leaving the house, I catch myself eating because I might get hungry while I am out. This book helps you think like a thin person and one thing thin people do is allow themselves to feel hungry before they eat. Although I don't plan on carrying around a Hunger Monitoring Chart, I do plan on thinking twice before I eat that way I can avoid eating just to eat.

The next tool is a Distraction Activity List. When you have the urge to eat because you're bored or give into a craving, you can go over to your list and find something to take your mind off of the craving. I have not made my list yet, but things I plan on putting on my list are:

  1. Take a bubble bath
  2. Read a magazine
  3. Call a friend
  4. Take the dogs for a walk
  5. Do some cleaning/organizing
  6. Read my Goal Reminder cards
  7. Read my blog, remind myself how far I have come
  8. Go to the gym

These are things I can do to get my mind off of food. For me, I crave junk food -chips, potatoes, fried food. I get major cravings and sometimes just feel like eating because I have nothing better to do. I think this list is a great idea because it reminds me of other things I can do. Eating should not be a hobby, it is something to fuel our bodies. Having a list of hobbies and things to do can help you avoid boredom eating.

Another tool was a Food Journal. All you need is a spiral notebook or even just a piece of paper. They recommend to make three columns on the page - Time, Planned Food and Unplanned Food. So, at the beginning of the day, plan out what you are going to eat and what time you plan on eating. If you have a plan, you are more likely to stick to it. I am going to buy a journal tonight, the one I think I am going to get is called DietMinder Personal Food & Fitness Journal. I saw the journal on a friend's Instagram, they sell it on Amazon and also in book stores. I like this particular journal because it has space to track six meals and space to track fitness. I am not going to count calories, but I think this journal will help me determine which meals are the toughest for me and which foods I have trouble with.

My 2013 Happy Memory Jar
Lastly, my favorite tool, the Happy Memory Jar. LOVE this idea. Actually, I loved this idea so much that I went to Fred Meyer and started the jar already. I am calling mine a 2013 Happy Memory jar. Write down happy things that happen so you can remember them and use them as motivation when you struggle. I have two in my jar already. The first, I had a date on the first day of the New Year - haven't been on a date since September. Second one was a text that made me smile, so I wrote down who it was from, the date and what it said. THESE are things I want to remember. When I see the scale go down, when I fit into a smaller size, when I run a faster mile, when I eat healthy at a party, when I bring my lunch to work for a straight month. Whatever it is, no matter how big or small, I want to REMEMBER IT. If it makes me smile, I WANT TO REMEMBER IT. Because when I am struggling and having a hard time, I want to remember the good stuff. If you take anything from this blog post, take this tool. Takes two seconds to do. My jar was $11.99 at the grocery store. So simple, yet such a powerful tool. What are you waiting for?! Go make your Happy Memory Jar.

I find myself wanting to take shortcuts lately. This weekend I went and bought green coffee bean extract which is supposed to help with weight loss. No matter how many supplements I take, if I have a bad diet, none of it will make a difference. This whole journey is about becoming happy and healthy. Losing weight is a part of becoming healthy, but I want to lose weight the right way. I will never keep the weight off if I don't change my eating habits. So, now is the time to make some changes. No shortcuts. No fad diets. No fat burning pills. Just a good diet and exercise.

Changing my eating habits isn't going to be easy, but I guarantee it will be worth it.

Jess


*Are you on Instagram? Follow me: JRTRUNR - I would love to follow you!

1 comments:

  1. Those are some really good suggestions. I eat all the time when I'm bored and it drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete