December 12, 2012

The Number on the Scale

"The scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity.  That's it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength or love."

- Steve Maraboli

I went to the gym last night.  I ran two miles and did a quick leg workout. My knee is really hurting today, probably should have stuck to the elliptical last night instead.  Although it was only an hour long workout, I was sweating like crazy!  Long or short workout, anything is better than sitting at home and doing nothing!

I am feeling really good today.  I find myself wearing stripes more than I ever have in my life lately.      When you're overweight, the last thing you want to do is accentuate a round stomach.  I assumed that when I started to lose weight, my clothes would be hanging off of me.  Some of them do hang off of me, but some still fit.  It hit me this morning that my clothes didn't fit me before, they finally fit me now.  My clothes used to bust at the seams, literally.  I have so many clothes that have holes in them because they were too tight.  My clothes now fit like they are supposed to, snug, but not busting at the seams anymore.  I feel really good lately.  

After I wrote my blog post yesterday comparing last December to this December, it got me thinking, what do I weigh?  I know what I weighed last December, and goodness, its a large number I hope I never see again.  But what do I weigh now?  

12/12/12
When I started this journey back in September, I was weighing myself daily.  Heck, sometimes even twice a day. I was obsessed with the number.  Once I started working out daily, I gained six pounds.  I remember complaining to my trainer about it and she told me it was normal for your body to gain before it starts losing.  She told me to wait until the middle of December to weigh myself.

So here I am and it is the middle of December.  To weigh myself or to not weigh myself?  That is the question. I have always weighed much more than I think I look, so I am really nervous I am doing to be disappointed with the number.  What if I have only lost 5 lbs?  I guarantee I will be insanely disappointed and discouraged because I feel like I have been working really hard.  Am I ready to see the number and be happy and proud of myself no matter what it says?

Then, there is a part of me that says, WHO CARES what the scale says.  I am working hard, I am motivated and I feel good.  So what is the point of weighing myself right now if it might discourage me?  Back in October and November, I was so excited to step on the scale in December.  But, now that it's here, I kind of don't want to see the number.  

I absolutely love the quote above. The scale is a measurement of gravity.  It does not measure how beautiful a person is, if they are a nice person, if they are talented or work hard.  

I don't know when I am going to weigh myself, but I don't think I am quite ready to see the number on the scale.  I am afraid it is going to discourage me.

Jess

3 comments:

  1. I struggle with the scale too. I used to weight myself daily and got obsessed with it to the point it was unhealthy so I got rid of it. Now I still weight myself occasionally but focus more on how my clothes fit. I've put on a lot of lean muscle in the last year so even though I'm about 10lb heavier then a year and a half ago I fit back into my pants I wore at my lightest so just remember there's more to it then the number

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is a constant struggle for me. But I enjoy not worrying about the number and just going off how clothes fit and how I feel. Plus, muscle weighs more than fat!

      Delete
  2. The scale is so insignificant.
    I have stayed away from it since being out of eating disorder treatment.
    You're right it does discourage you. No matter what it says you'll find something wrong with it.
    And if you like what it says then you will become more obessed with dieting and keeping that number the same.
    Also, all scales are different. We gain and lose 5 lbs regularly due to water weight, that stupid period thing, what have you.
    And what i've learned most recently is let the jeans fit you not you fit them. In the end no one sees the number and we are the only ones giving that number power over us.

    ReplyDelete