December 17, 2012

Pay It Forward & Weekend Pictures

This weekend was a bitter sweet one.  I took Friday off work and slept in until 11am, which I absolutely never do.  I laid in bed and got on Facebook.  Every single post was about people being shocked, speechless and heartbroken.  Curious what everyone was talking about, I turned on the news. 20 children and 7 adults, shot down in an elementary school.  I, too, was shocked, speechless and heartbroken.  I watched the news coverage at home and then went to the gym and watched an the coverage there while I biked hills for an hour.  Everyone at the gym was working out slowly with their eyes glued to the television.  So horrific.  I will never understand how someone could do something so incredibly evil.

Friday evening, I went shopping with an old friend.  It was great to see her and catch up with her.  On Saturday, I went and saw Elf the musical at the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle.  The play was so good!  My Mom, brother, sister and I all grabbed dinner downtown after the musical.  On Sunday, we all went over to my Grandma's house to have an early Christmas celebration.  All in all, it was a good weekend.

This morning, as I got ready for work, I was listening to 100.7 The Wolf. I listen to their morning show every day while I get ready for work.  Today's morning show was different.  There was no show schedule or prizes to win, it was just an open discussion about what happened on Friday.  They refused to say the shooter's name on air and talked about the victims instead.  The host then took a minute to encourage everyone to pay it forward today, do something nice for a stranger.  There were a flood of calls from people who anonymously did something nice for a stranger this morning.  One person helped a stranger fix a flat tire on the side of the road, one woman bought small McDonald's gift cards to hand out to the homeless, others bought coffee for the next person in line behind them, others left large tips while getting breakfast this morning.

This morning while going to Starbucks, I decided that I would buy coffee for who ever was behind me in the drive thru this morning.  As I get up to the window, the barista said, the woman in front of you already paid for your coffee.  I was speechless for a second, she beat me to it.  How sweet of her.  I bought coffee for the woman in line behind me and I hope the chain of kindness continued on.  

Amazing how something as small as a two dollar Americano can completely make some one's day.  Maybe the guy in front of her bought her coffee, and she decided to pay it forward to me or maybe she was listening to the same radio show I was.  Either way though, she went out of her way for a complete stranger and bought my coffee this morning and I am so very thankful.

It doesn't take much to help out a stranger and to pay it forward, yet so many of us fail to do so.  I know I am guilty of this.  It is so easy to get caught up in your own little world, we forget to help others out.  Sometimes it is as simple as holding the door for someone, letting someone in on the freeway or tipping your barista a little more than usual.  A little kindness goes a long way.

On this rainy Monday, thanks to a complete stranger, my day is a little bit brighter.

Jess


My sister, Mom and I
5th Avenue Theatre
Gingerbread house
New gym shirt

Glass of wine on Friday night after shopping
Sadie girl
Got a package in the mail - I love groupon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment