December 27, 2012

New Year's

It feels like it has been a long time since I last blogged.  Lots on my mind, so I apologize if this post is all over the place.

I have the week off work and I have spent a lot of time with family and just relaxing.  Last night, I took a bath, set up my Christmas gifts and got everything organized.  My plan was to sit down and watch a movie.  So, I looked through my DVR and saw the movie New Years Eve.  Figured it was a light romantic comedy and it would be perfect for a low key evening.  This movie made my head spin and got me thinking about how I have no plans for New Years Eve.  You're supposed to have a date for New Year's Eve, go out, have a blast and, of course, have a  New Year's kiss at midnight.  My guess, I will have none of those this year.  As I got to thinking about New Year's Eve, how I don't have a date and I also have no plans, it got me thinking about last New Year's Eve. 

Last year, I went out with my friend, her boyfriend and my boyfriend at the time.  Sure, I had a date, I went out and I got a kiss at midnight, but let me tell you, I had an absolute miserable time.  My friend and I got separated shortly before midnight, so my boyfriend, who was a very angry drunk, decided we should walk home.  Sure, I only lived about a mile or two away from the bar, but I was wearing uncomfortable shoes and it was all uphill.  He yelled and screamed at me the entire way home.  Happy New Year to me.  A cab ended up picking us up and driving us to my place.  He continued to scream at me in the cab, on the walk to my apartment, all the way until he fell asleep.  I cried myself to sleep that night.

So as I watched the movie and thought about last New Year's Eve, I began to feel completely content with having no plans, no date and no midnight kiss.  I tend to get so caught up with what society thinks I should be doing.  I had a date last year, went out with friends, drank, got my kiss at midnight, yet, I wouldn't want another New Year's Eve like that ever again.  Once again, I am reminded that being single and happy is much better than being in a relationship and absolutely miserable.  Funny how quickly I forget.

The holidays really make me feel like I am the only single person in the world.  Everyone constantly asks how my dating life is and ask when I am going to get a boyfriend.  Sometimes I just wish people would stop asking me.  Is it really the end of the world to be single?  Honestly, I am not ready to date.  I just feel like such a work in progress that it wouldn't be fair to to someone to try and date.  I look forward to being ready to date, finding that one person who gets me and being so in love.  Can't wait.  But right now, I am just not ready for that.  I am completely enjoying being selfish, exercising daily and doing my own thing.

I went to Fred Meyer yesterday, hoping to stock up on Christmas decorations and wrapping paper.  To my surprise, all of the Christmas displays had been switched out with exercise equipment. This is honestly the first year that I will not have to make a New Year's Resolution to lose weight and I am really happy about that.  I am thankful that I started my journey to lose weight back in September and I didn't have to wait until the New Year to make a change.  My New Year's Resolutions never lasted long.  I would diet and exercise for a couple weeks, then decide it was too much work and I would quickly revert back to my old ways. 

My trainer used to do personal training at a high end club years ago.  She said there were always so many clients that would complain about all of the 'New Years Resolutioners' at the gym after the first of the year.  I am sure many of you have noticed, the gym is always packed after New Years.  My trainer said the reason those people never stick with it is because they go to the gym, workout for hours, starve themselves and as you can guess, they burn out pretty quickly. Exercise and eating healthy needs to be a lifestyle if you're going to stick with it.  People are so drastic and they can't maintain it in the long run.

I was so nervous about entering the New Year.  I sat around thinking about all of the things I didn't have, rather than focusing on how much I have grown this year.  I am single, but right now, I think it is for the best.  I am in better shape than I have been in all year, I am eating better and most importantly, I am happier than I have been all year.  I am looking forward to 2013, being happier and stronger in the New Year.  Lots to look forward to.

Here are pictures from the last few days.  Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas :)

Jess

Blogging at a coffeehouse

Bought 12 bottles of wine for $78, saved $108 :)

Reading my new magazine in the bath tub


After my hair appointment

Wish it were that easy!

 
My dogs and I on Christmas Eve

Christmas morning
Sadie girl


New wine glasses for my new wine rack

New outfit for Christmas Eve


Favorite gym shirt


Sadie and I

Love this quote

1 comments:

  1. Great post! It's so easy to get caught up in what others think you "should" be doing that we forget to just enjoy what we have. I think you'll have a great New Years

    ReplyDelete