December 26, 2012

Interview With Glipho.com

Glipho.com interviewed me for their site and I just wanted to share :) You can find me on Glipho here.

For our Xmas Eve Meet a Glipher, we have the lovely Jess! She's one of the Glipho fitness experts and her regular Gym Motivation posts have inspired the entire Glipho team to start getting fitter. One of the really great things about her gliphs is that they make getting fit sound appealing and achievable... not always an easy thing to do!
She tells us all about why she decided to start blogging about her fitness journey and how it has helped her!


1. Why did you start blogging? Why do you continue to do it?

I originally started blogging back in 2009. Goal was to blog about running, marathon training and to give tips and review products I liked. I took a break from blogging and running and last September, I started the blog back up. I had so many thoughts running through my head and I just needed them out in the open. Most would say, why not just journal? But for me, I needed the feeling of accountability. Knowing other people read it gave me the motivation to keep going and to push myself harder. Like I have said though, I probably read my blog more than anyone else. I blog so I can go back and read and remind myself how far I have come and what I still need to work on.


2. Blogging can be a great way to express your individuality, but sometimes it's a bit nerve-racking to put yourself out there. What does blogging mean to you?

It is nerve-racking to put yourself out there, but the support that comes from it makes it all worth it. Blogging means a lot to me because the support I get from the people who read my posts help remind me that I am not alone and not the only one who struggles with weight and happiness.


3. Have you had any particular experiences as a result of your blog?

I can’t say I have had any experiences as a result of my blog, but I will say that my blog has given me the courage to do some things I wouldn’t have done otherwise. For example, I had the courage to run the 5K back in November because I really wanted to be able to blog about it and say I ran it. A lot of evenings, after I write my Gym Motivation of the Day, I just want to bail on the gym and lay at home. But, I end up going to the gym each evening because I don’t want to have to admit to everyone the next day that I bailed on the gym. My blog motivates me, gives me courage to face my fears and keeps me accountable.

4. How involved are you with the online community? Have you attended any blogger meet-ups, online or offline?

I wish I could say I was more involved, but I am not. I follow several blogs, but I have never attended any blogger meet-ups. Definitely would love to be more involved!

5. Which blog(s) do you love to read?

I have two blogs that are my absolute favorite. The first one is By Me For You. This one is written by a friend I went to high school with. She talks about her struggles with weight, her eating disorder as well as her experience in treatment. Even if you don’t have an eating disorder, I think everyone can relate to her struggles in some way or another. Another one I love is Lindsay’s Ramblings. She is such an inspiration for me and someone I look up to. She gives great advice for women who lift weights. Although I think she looks amazing just the way she is, I admire her for always striving to be better and admitting to her weaknesses. These are great women and I Iove reading their blogs on a regular basis.

6. I love how motivated you are about getting fit. How would you encourage other people to find your kind of determination?

Make lists! For me, I needed to write a list of why losing weight is so important to me. Whether it is to be healthy again, gain confidence, be able to wear a bikini or fit into cute clothes, they are all reasons that make me want to work hard and lose weight. I think people tend to lose sight of what they want in the long run because we all want immediate gratification. I would encourage everyone to make lists. Post the lists where you will see them and remind yourself of why you want to reach your goal. I also think it is really great to have a support system, whether it is friends, family, a blog or twitter. Find people who will keep you accountable and support you to do your best.

7. What's your favourite exercise to do in a workout? And what's your worst?

I have recently found a love for weight lifting. I have noticed the biggest difference in the shape of my body since I started lifting heavy weights. My favorite lifts are squats and deadlifts. They engage so many different muscles and it feels really good. My least favorite exercise is push-ups and planks. Not sure why, but these are so hard for me! Definitely a sign that I need to improve my core and upper body strength!


8. What made you decide to start writing on Glipho and how is it working out so far?

I was approached by the Glipho team on Twitter and I figured it would help drive more traffic to my site, so why not? I had no idea the kind of support I would receive from Glipho. I love all of the kind comments I get and love the people I have met from the site. Glipho is a great place to share your blog posts, but an even better place to find support, encouragement and accountability. Very thankful I joined the site.


9. What goals do you have for coming year? Any particular blogging goals?

My goals for the coming year is to continue on this journey, lose weight and be happy. One goal I have is to sign up and run a half marathon before the end of 2013. As for blogging, I just want to continue blogging on a daily basis and hopefully improve the look and feel of my blog. I want to reach my weight loss goal in 2013 and be able to blog about fitness and running rather than losing weight.

You can follow Jess here and on Twitter.

Thanks for reading :)

Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment