December 19, 2012

Gym Motivation of the Day

I made it to the gym last night.  I biked hills for 30 minutes and then did an arm and back workout. The hardest part about yesterdays workout was just getting myself to the gym.  I was exhausted and had no motivation. A few people told me to just rest and take the night off. Taking the night off, resting, having a glass of wine, all of those things sound nice but they aren't going to help me reach my goal.

I am realizing lately, it is so much easier to just be fat. Yes, I said it.  It is easier to be fat.  You can eat whatever you want, you can have your evenings and weekends free to do whatever you want, you can go out to eat and not worry about nutrition. So much easier than working out everyday, sacrificing your evenings for the gym, cooking healthy meals and keeping track of what you've ate.  Being fat is so much easier than being healthy and in shape.

The easier choice, however, is not always the best choice.  Being overweight and unhappy with the way I look is absolutely miserable. I have made so much progress and I know what it feels like to be in shape, its so much better than being overweight.  Its nice being able to look in the mirror and like what I see.

So I feel like I have two choices: be overweight and miserable or be healthy and happy.  Although it takes much more time and effort to be healthy and happy, I would choose it over being fat and miserable ANY DAY.

I love this quote above, "If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. Its the hard that makes it great." Anything in life worth having is worth working for.  Being healthy and happy is SO worth working for.  Reaching my goal of being happy, healthy and in shape is going to take time and I am going to have to work at it.  I will continue reminding myself that all of my hard work is worth it because the alternative of being fat and miserable is, well, miserable.

Tonight, I am working out with my trainer.  She always finds a way to motivate me and remind me why I started this journey in the first place.

I will continue to work hard and sacrifice my evenings and my Saturday mornings for the gym.  Why? Because I am worth it. 

Jess

2 comments:

  1. What is interesting is that you don't think "fat" people can be happy. That being "fat" instantly means you'll hate how you look and have no confidence or self worth. You also seem to draw a black and white divide between being healthy and being overweight, which is also not true

    There's nothing wrong with taking pride in accomplishment and your body. But to directly link happiness and skinny together is a recipe for disappointment. And anything accomplished with that mindset will be for naught

    You've admitted before that the weight could have easily resulted from being unhappy and not the other way around. Don't make the mistake of letting the arrow go the other way again. Don't make the mistake of assuming the only way you can be happy is by losing weight. And don't make the mistake that "losing weight" is the hard part of your journey. Finding happiness is. You think you know your way: working hard on accomplishing your goals and changing who you are along the way. But "fat" people can still be happy in ways that don't require weight loss. Remember that. Because assuming fat = unhappy is the mindset which leads people to treat overweight people in ways which contributed to your unhappiness in the first place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are completely right. My unhappiness led me to be overweight, and yes, it is possible for people to be completely happy and overweight. Finding happiness is the hardest part of this journey, but for me, losing weight plays a huge factor in my happiness. Running made me really happy and in order for me to be able to run like I used to, I absolutely have to lose weight. But I agree with you, being fat did not cause me to be unhappy and it is very possible to be overweight and happy.

      Delete