December 10, 2012

Gym Motivation of the Day

Each year around Christmas and New Years, I begin to kind of review the last year.  What happened? What did I accomplish? What changes did I make? What is my resolution going to be for the next year?

I remember this time last year.  I had been recently confronted about my weight by my family, I was in a relationship that I was comfortable in and I was doing a job where I felt bored.  I think everyone gets to a point in life where they are comfortable but slightly bored.  I wanted 2012 to be MY year.  My goals for 2012 were to lose weight, get engaged, get a new place, find a new job and buy a new car.

Although I had several New Year's resolutions, my number one resolution was to lose weight - just like every year before. So, I went out and bought the HCG diet.  Eat 500 calories (or less) a day while taking these drops.  Sure, I lost 20 pounds fairly quick, but I also quickly gained it all back.  I was dating a guy who didn't work out and who enjoyed eating ding dongs, poptarts and pringles.  Very hard to eat healthy and go to the gym when my significant other  chowed on McDonalds and relaxed at home.

Throughout the year, I got a new job which I absolutely love, I bought my dream car, decided to stay in my current apartment and I also left my boyfriend.  Around summer time, I was pretty convinced that I was not going to lose weight this year, just too hard.  Figured I would enter 2013 being just as fat and miserable as I was.  It gets to the point where I felt like I had tried everything in order to lose weight. Oh wait, I never tried actual diet and exercise.

When I was with my last boyfriend, it honestly was hard to sacrifice my evenings for the gym because it was the only time I was able to see him.  But now that I am single, I have all the time in the world to go to the gym and do my thing.  To be honest, that is one of my biggest fears about dating again, having to give up my nights in the gym and being with someone who doesn't workout.

The one thing that really keeps me motivated is the fact that I never want to have to make a New Year's resolution to lose weight again.  Every year I am miserable and tell myself I am going to do something about it, and I always give up.  I am getting smaller, I am enjoying the gym, I don't feel like a miserable person anymore.  A few months ago, I thought I had no accomplishments. I feel so differently now.

I can run 4.5 miles without stopping (a month ago, it was barely a half mile).  I can bike hills for a straight hour without slowing down. Two months ago, I could lift 10 lbs for a bicep curl, I can now do 15 lbs with ease.  I actually enjoy deadlifts and lifting heavy weight. I fit into my skinny jeans that I bought in September.  My suede boots are so loose that they won't even stay up when I walk.  I was able to fit into leather knee high boots.  My workout clothes are becoming too big for me.  I eat healthy and look at labels now.  I am single and completely ok with it.  I feel more confident in myself.

These things keep me motivated.  I want to end 2012 strong and I want to be the best I can be.  I am really proud I started this journey back in September.  Today, this is what is motivating me to kick butt with my trainer tonight.

2013 is MY year. 

Jess


0 comments:

Post a Comment