November 21, 2012

Thankful Rolls

Each year for Thanksgiving, we round up the entire family and meet at my Mom's house for a turkey dinner.  Last year, I was in charge of making rolls. Normally, my family just goes out and buys a big bag of rolls and calls it good. I found a neat idea on Pinterest and decided to give it a try.

I decided to bake 'Thankful Rolls'.  I sent out an email to everyone and asked them to email me a couple things they were thankful for.  I then typed them all up, printed them and cut them out.  I folded each piece of paper in foil and stuck them inside Pillsbury crescent rolls. Not fancy rolls or anything, but they each had something we were thankful for inside. So as we all enjoyed dinner last year, we were able to read out loud what everyone was thankful for.  It ended up being really fun, trying to guess which one belonged to who. More importantly, it reminded everyone what the holiday was really about, being thankful.

This year, although I am allergic to gluten, I volunteered to make the rolls again.  I sent out the emails again and to my surprise, got no response.  So, last night I made a few phone calls to remind everyone in case they didn't see the email.  Some hadn't checked their email and quickly sent me a list of things they were thankful for, while others, didn't feel like participating.  One response was that they figured we were all thankful for the same things and they didn't need to send any.  I mentioned that it doesn't matter what others are thankful for, I just wanted everyone to give me something, even if it is something others are thankful for too.  They said they would have to go home and really think about it and then get back to me.

Really think about it? Sad.  I called my Mom and vented about how I couldn't believe people had to think hard about what they were thankful for. My Mom told me that all of the rolls don't need to be filled with things we are thankful for, just fill what I could and leave the rest empty.  We have seventeen people coming for Thanksgiving and I am planning on making three crescent rolls per person.  That is 51 crescent rolls and 51 things to be thankful for.  You mean to tell me that seventeen people don't have a combined 51 things to be thankful for?!

I would like to think that every single person has at least 51 things to be thankful for, if not much, much more. I told my Mom that every single roll would be filled with things we are thankful for, even if I have to fill all 51 with things I am thankful for.

Shouldn't we be thankful for everything, not matter how big or small it is? I think we are all thankful for our houses, jobs and families.  But what about all of the other things?  The small things that we probably take for granted most days?  Can't we be thankful for the small things too?

This journey to finding my happiness has truly showed me how many things I have taken for granted. Sitting around wishing for things I don't have while failing to recognize all of the really great things in my life. I am choosing to be thankful for everything, no matter how big or small.  Some may be the same as others, some may not, but either way, they are things that I choose to be thankful for.

Here are 51 things I am thankful for today:

1. I am thankful for my family.
2. I am thankful for my true friends.
3. I am thankful that I have been blessed with two beautiful puppies - Sadie and Mia.
4. I am thankful that I have a job.
5. I am thankful that I was able to buy a new car this year - my dream car.
6. I am thankful for my drive and motivation.
7. I am thankful for my trainer - she inspires me to be the best I can be.
8. I am thankful for the support I have on Twitter.
9. I am thankful for that first sip of coffee in the morning.
10. I am thankful for a God who loves me no matter what.
11. I am thankful for my blog - even if no one reads it, it reminds me of why I am working so hard.
12. I am thankful for country music.
13. I am thankful for my love of cooking.
14. I am thankful I have a beautiful apartment to go home to.
15. I am thankful for lazy Saturdays where I get to cuddle with my puppies.
16. I am thankful that my Mom is such a good cook - hands down cooks the best filet mignon you'll ever try.
17. I am thankful I have a sister who puts up with me.
18. I am thankful that I was able to go to college.
19. I am thankful for my fireplace - I love being able to relax in front of my fireplace.
20. I am thankful for Christmas time.
21. I am thankful for early mornings at the gym - quiet, empty and relaxing.
22. I am thankful I have people in my life that truly want to see me succeed.
23. I am thankful for all of the kind comments left on my blog, I truly appreciate them.
24. I am thankful my Aunt has helped me train my dogs.
25. I am thankful for long walks with my dogs on cool fall days - I love watching them get lost in the leaves.
26. I am thankful for casual Fridays.
27. I am thankful to be alive.
28. I am thankful for my happiness - although it gets lost sometimes, I always know where to find it.
29. I am thankful that I have discovered hobbies that I enjoy.
30. I am thankful for my love of running.
31. I am thankful for the book, 'Your Best Year Yet' - totally changed my life.
32. I am thankful that I am finally doing something about being so miserable - finally getting my life back.
33. I am thankful that I have not given up and that I refuse to give up - makes me proud.
34. I am thankful for my traffic free drives to work where I can listen to the morning show on the radio and just relax and drink my coffee.
35. I am thankful for that moment when I get home and my dogs act like they haven't seen me in forever - makes me so happy.
36. I am thankful for cold, blue sky winter days.
37. I am thankful that I can consider my Mom a good friend, not just my Mother.
38. I am thankful that my sister enjoys going shopping with me.
39. I am thankful for lists - they keep me motivated.
40. I am thankful that I am learning to love myself - making progress everyday.
41. I am thankful that I am becoming less of a picky eater.
42. I am thankful for texting - a simple "good morning" text can change my entire day.
43. I am thankful that my friend emails me and keeps me company at work.
44. I am thankful that Thai food is mostly gluten free - also wine.
45. I am thankful that Jesus died on the cross for all of my sins.
46. I am thankful for the feeling I get after an awesome workout.
47. I am thankful that Glipho has allowed me to share my blog posts on their site and for all of their support.
48. I am thankful to be able to sleep in on the weekends if I choose.
49. I am thankful that I choose to be happy and thankful.
50. I am thankful for Sunday afternoons spent at my Mom's house cutting coupons and grocery shopping with my sister.
51. I am thankful that I am learning to love myself and be confident in who I am - not feeling like I need to change in order for people to like me.

What are you thankful for?

Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment