November 6, 2012

Thankful People Are Happy

Yesterday was great.  Work was very busy and the day went by very fast. I worked too late to meet with my trainer, but I did go to the gym after work.  On the first Monday of every month, the gym serves pizza.  I have no idea why they do this, because it defeats the whole point of going to the gym.  So, while everyone sat around in the massage chairs, watching the news and eating pizza, I kicked some butt on the bike.  Normally, no one ever rides the bike at the gym.  But with my knee hurting, the bike is the best thing for it.  There was a guy on the bike next to me yesterday.  Whenever someone is next to me, I always feel like we are racing, even though they have no idea.  The guy gave me a run for my money!  I biked for 40 minutes going full throttle the entire time.  I then finished my workout with some weights.  I felt so good.

I got home and exchanged a few texts with a friend while I watched tv with my dogs.  The texts weren't so nice and I was told that me being positive and happy is a "joke", I am "delusional", that I was lying if I said I was happy and I am only happy when I am in control.  I found myself trying to tell this person why I was happy via text, almost trying to prove it to them.  But then I realized, why do I need to prove I am happy to anyone?  I know I am happy and frankly, that's all that matters.  I told my friend that it is their opinion and they didn't need to talk to me if they felt this way about me, but their comments weren't going to ruin my day.

If I say I am happy, that I had a good day, who are you to tell me I am lying?  This conversation made me realize that everyone has a different definition of what "being happy" is.  I think for some people, everything has to be perfect and going their way in order to be happy.  For others, I think they are just happy and grateful for the things they have and therefore, are happy.  What makes one person happy may not be the same for others.

There are so many things that make me happy. Simple things, but they really make me smile.  Sitting on my couch watching my dogs play.  That first sip of coffee in the morning.  Blasting gangsta rap on the way to the gym.  Painting my nails.  Emailing funny pics to my best friend at work.  Blogging.  Going to the gym.  Couponing. Coming home after a long day of work and seeing how happy my dogs are to see me. Taking a book and reading at Starbucks.  Listening to Taylor Swift. Cooking new recipes.  Walking my dogs.  THESE are things I like to do and these are the things that make me happy.

No day is going to be completely perfect and go the way you want it to.  But, like I have said before, being happy is a choice.  I choose to think of the good things that happened in my day and I can be happy about those things.  I do not have to prove to anyone that I am happy.  I am working on myself, getting in shape and learning to be happy for MYSELF not for ANYONE ELSE.  My standards of "being happy" is my own and may differ than yours.  I choose to be happy.  I choose to be thankful for all the good in my life.  I am not perfect and I might run into struggles, but those struggles are my own and I will choose to be happy regardless.

I choose to live this day to the fullest, to be happy regardless of what is going on and I will be the best I can be.  I am doing this for myself, not for anyone else and refuse to feel the need to prove this to anyone.  All that matters is that I am meeting my own standards of "being happy", not yours.

Jess



0 comments:

Post a Comment