November 27, 2012

Gym Motivation of the Day

"You don't stand in front of the mirror before a run and wonder what the road will think of your outfit. You don't have to listen to its jokes and pretend they're funny in order to run on it. It will not be easier to run if you dress sexier. The road doesn't notice when you're not wearing make up. It doesn't care how old you are. And you don't feel uncomfortable if you make more money than it. The only thing the road cares about is that you pay it a visit once in a while" - NIKE

Running is a pain in the butt, literally.  My muscles burn, I sweat like crazy and it is completely exhausting.  Sometimes during the middle of a run, I start to question why the heck I do this to myself. But the cool thing is, no matter how good or bad the run was, I always feel like a million bucks when I am finished.

I have noticed lately, I absolutely hate picking out outfits for work.  Everything I put on fits me weird  and does not flatter me.  Don't feel like I have ever had this issue before. Then it hit me, it is because I am losing weight and my clothes don't fit as snug as they used to. Running is paying off! This morning, I put on my work slacks and a purple silk top.  As I was doing the dishes, I kept tripping over the bottom of my slacks.  It was as if I shrunk a few inches over night and my pants were too long for me.  Driving me nuts!  Then it dawned on me, I am tripping over my pants because they are slipping off of my hips and too big for me now.  I ran to the mirror and took a look at myself (and snapped this picture haha).

11.27.12
When I first bought these slacks for work (this is embarrassing), I had to safety pin them shut.  When I say safety pin them shut, I mean they were like several inches too small around the waist, no where near fitting me. I used to have to wear really long shirts to cover my underwear from showing through all the safety pins.  Goodness, that is embarrassing.  Now, I can fit an entire arm down the side of my pants with them fully buttoned shut.  My purple top has extra room and I actually had to tie the bow in the back a little tighter.  My hard work is paying off and I am starting to like what I see in the mirror. I feel like a complete dork, but I catch myself looking in the mirror a lot more than I ever used to.

Running hurts and at times I question why I run, why I sacrifice my evenings for the gym and why I eat healthy.  I often wonder why I can't just be ok with having a little extra fluff and just be content with myself.  But I am starting to realize that it is because I know in my heart that I am better than this.  Why be content with anything less than the best?  Why not strive to be the absolute best version of yourself? Why not do what makes you happy?  Working on myself makes me happy. I enjoy going to the gym because I know it is good for me and is going to get me closer to my goal.

I get it, I have a lot of work ahead of me.  This journey is on going, there is no expiration date or end date.  This is a lifestyle, something that I will always have to work on.  But along this journey, I love that I can notice little things and be proud of my hard work.  I have spent almost every single evening for the last two months in the gym.  My results aren't coming as quickly or dramatically as I would like, but they are coming slowly but surely.

This evening, this girl is hitting the gym.  I plan on running/biking and lifting and I am really pumped about it.

Tonight, this is what is motivating to get my buns to the gym:

1. I want to see more dramatic results.
2. I can't wait to go shopping and buy smaller clothes.
3. I look forward to the day when I can focus on building muscle, not losing fat.
4. I love that I am a regular at the gym now.
5. I feel really proud of myself.
6. My body feels tighter and not so heavy.
7. I enjoy the burn of a good workout.
8. I want to have more confidence in myself.
9. I want to be the best version of myself.
10. I want to look as good as I feel.
11. I want to actually buy - and wear - a bikini next summer.
12. I want to be a better runner than I used to be.
13. I want to be able to wear whatever I want and feel good about myself.
14. I have a goal - and I refuse to quit.

Jess



0 comments:

Post a Comment