November 20, 2012

Gym Motivation of the Day

 After feeling pretty down about myself yesterday, I met with my trainer.  We started with lunges and squats, did deadlifts and worked on biceps and chest.  Ended the workout with stretching and core work.

There are a few other older women (older, I mean older than me) that work out with us.  My trainer lets them use the 1-3lb weights during our workouts and they move to 5lbs when they push themselves.  My trainer lets me use no less than five and moves me all the way up to 30lb weights. I love that my trainer can see my strength and my drive.  She pushes me when I want to quit because she has faith that I can do it, even when I don't have faith in myself.  I tend to doubt my strength and my abilities.  But when I head over and grab a 5lb weight, my trainer grabs it from me and puts a 10 lb weight in my hand.  She knows I am a strong girl, she knows I want this so bad and I am so grateful for the fact that she pushes me when I forget to push myself.

While I was on the ball doing side situps, I asked if this will take away my muffin top.  My trainer laughed of course.  I told her that I am so sick of not seeing results and feeling fat.  One lady told me to workout. Workout?  I workout every single day! My trainer comforted me and told me to keep going, keep working hard and results will come.  She reminded me to focus on my progress, not how far I have to go.  Be proud that I can lift so much more than I used to be, proud that my stomach muscles are tight, proud that my triceps are visible now, proud that I can run more than I could last month.  Those are the things to focus on.

I went home feeling better than I did before the workout.  It was incredibly rainy here in Seattle yesterday, so I figured it was the perfect evening to cook dinner and relax with my dogs in front of a fire. I cooked light Honey Sesame Chicken and Broccoli and oh my gosh, it was so good.  Although I would have loved to have some delicious carbs with the meal, I was proud that I stuck to protein and vegetables.  I substituted my red wine with water and I felt satisfied.  Once 10 pm rolled around, I of course caught a glimpse of the cherry filled Hershey kisses on my counter and of course gave in and had a couple.  I am realizing it is easier to eat healthy without tempting food in front of me.  I put all the carbs, wine and chocolate deep into my cupboards so they aren't in plain sight.

Yesterday, I learned that I am putting unrealistic time constraints on my goal.  Its almost like I am visualizing myself looking like a fitness model by the time Christmas rolls around which is ridiculous.  My goal of getting happy and getting in shape should not have an expiration date.  I want to make healthy decisions and be proud of ANY progress I make by Christmas.  I was reading another woman's blog today, about her journey to becoming fit.  Sure, she looks like a fitness model, but she also said she has been working for FIFTEEN years to get where she is at.  While reading her blog, she is still striving to be better.  This journey never stops.  Being fit is a lifestyle, there is no end to it.  You don't get to look like a fitness model and then just stop working out and eating good.  Those people look the way they do because they have made fitness and health a lifestyle, something they work on every single day.

I understand I am not going to look like a fitness model in a month, heck it might take fifteen years.  But I can promise, I am not going to give up.  I am going to try my best to focus on progress, whether it be lifting more weight or my clothes fitting a little less snug.  I will be proud because I have worked too hard not to be.

I am working with my trainer again tonight, since we are not meeting tomorrow.  I love working with her because she reminds me I am strong and I can reach my goal as long as I don't give up.

Tonight this is what is motivating me to get to the gym:

1. Working for progress, not perfection.
2. The days, weeks and months will go by no matter what, I want to make the best of them.
3.  I want to be the best I can be.
4.  I want to have a better day than yesterday.
5.  I want to be confident.
6.  I want to be muscular and lose this fat.
7.  I want to be proud of the way I look.
8.  The harder I work, the more results I will see.
9.  Working out motivates me to eat better.
10.  I want to be happy.
11.  I want this so bad, I refuse to give up.
12.  This goal has no expiration and I will work on it until I am satisfied.
13.  I want to be comfortable around people/
14.  I want to make my family proud.
15.  More than anything, I want to make myself proud.

Jess


2 comments:

  1. Like I always say, don't focus so much on results that you forget to have fun and enjoy the process! Focus on getting stronger and fitter and the physical results will come! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Lindsay! I tend to quickly forget that working out is fun and something I enjoy. I want results, but need to focus on being healthier, happy and stronger in the meantime.

      By the way, absolutely love you blog. I read your blog religiously, totally inspire me to keep working hard.

      Delete