November 7, 2012

Choose People Who Inspire You

Yesterday was great.  Got home from work and got ready to head to the gym.  I iced my knee on the way to the gym.  Tied and ice pack around my knee with a dog leash.  Genius if you ask me! I biked at the gym for 40 minutes while watching the election coverage, felt really good.  I did a couple leg exercises that didn't hurt my knee.  Came home to find out Obama was re-elected.  All in all, very good night!

I was chatting with a friend about my knee yesterday while I was heading to the gym.  They told me I  should just sit at home and rest.  I told them, even though my knee is hurting, I can still work out my core, my arms and I can still do some cardio.  I can take it easy on my knee, but I am not going to use my knee as an excuse to lay around and eat bon bons.  They responded with, "You just don't give up, do you?"  Ah, that made me feel good.  No, I don't give up.  They were impressed.

I am finding that the people I surround myself with plays a huge factor in my life.  I think we all have those friends who lift us up, support us and are always there for us.  But I think we all also have those friends who are always down and have nothing nice to say.  I always want to be there for my friends and listen to them vent, but I am realizing it is completely draining.  Listening to other peoples problems really affects my mood.  Some people are miserable, and make no efforts in making any changes.  They dwell on everything that is going wrong in their lives.  I can listen, I can give advice, I can be there to support them.  But there comes a point when it is just draining.  If they choose not to help themselves, then I am going to choose to walk away.  It is too draining for me and really affects my happiness.  I am sure I was this friend at one point, who vented about my problems so much that I drained everyone around me.  For that, I am sorry.

I am realizing how important it is to be a good friend and to have good friends.  Its ok to vent and its ok to be the listener.  But, make sure the people you surround yourself with inspire you to be the best you can be, who encourage you and who lift you higher. You should do the same for your friends, inspire them, encourage them and lift them higher.  It is a lot easier to inspire those around you when you are happy with yourself.  I am choosing to better myself and be happy and I am realizing I need to choose friends who do the same.

I don't want to drain those around me and I don't want to be drained by the people in my life. I want to surround myself with happy people, people who want good things for themselves, people who inspire me to be a better person.  My best friend is one of these people.  Her outlook on life is something I envy.  She can always find something to smile about and she is more than thankful for everything she has.  She CHOOSES to be happy.  These are the types of people in my life.

The people we choose to keep in our lives play a huge factor in our happiness.  I will choose to surround myself with people who inspire me and also choose to be happy.

Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment