October 17, 2012

Life is a Classroom

As I continue reading 'Your Best Year Yet' by Jinny Ditzler, I am moving onto the next step in the book called "What Did I Learn". She mentions that lessons other people need to learn are often more obvious than the lessons we need to learn.  She asks the reader to be a fly on the wall for a little bit, look at your life as an outsider.  If you look at your life with a bit more distance, it may be easier to to see where we are lacking in our own lives and the lessons we can take away from it.

What do you see? What would you like to see? What would you do differently?  What lessons did you learn?  She asks the reader to visualize yourself acting in this new way with all the lessons you have learned about yourself.

"Once you learn a lesson and are demonstrating it in your life, you're given a gift like no other. Nothing can take it away from you."  I have made a list of my accomplishments and my disappointments.  Tried to "weed out" my disappointments in order to make room for growth in my life.  As Jinny Ditzler says, identifying your lessons learned, you are enriching the soil in your garden and changing the climate in which you grow in.  Strange analogy, but it makes sense.

Oddly enough, I really struggled writing this list of 'Lessons Learned'.  I started out by reading through each of my blog posts as an outsider. I was able to pull several lessons just by reading and listening to myself vent. I gave my best effort at being an outsider and looking at my life from someone else's point of view.  Think I did pretty good!

1. Make decisions you can be proud of regardless of what others think.
2. It is OK to say no.
3. Do what you want to do when you want to do it, don't let others dictate what you do.
4. Work hard, do for others, but don't forget to make time for yourself.
5. Step outside your comfort zone every once in a while.
6. Slow down, enjoy this moment.
7. Remember everything you have to be thankful for.
8. It is ok to put yourself and your feelings first.
9. Stop trying to control the uncontrollable.
10. Learn when enough is enough, sometimes walking away is the best thing you can do for yourself.
11. Don't make assumptions.
12. Be happy now, don't wait for things to be perfect.
13. Strive for progress not perfection.
14. Give yourself credit when credit is deserved.
15. Be confident in your abilities.
16. Know your worth, know what you deserve and never settle for less than the best.
17. Thoughts become things.
18. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you.
19. Never change in order to impress someone else.
20. Be proud of your accomplishments.
21. Learn to be your own best friend, you will never be alone.

I feel really proud of myself when I look at this list.  These are things I have learned along the way.  I am sure I will soon find many other lessons I can add to this list, but for now, I am proud of the 21 lessons I have learned since I started this journey.

One of the next steps in the book is choosing three of these lessons to focus on.  I will have to decide which three lessons, if followed, will have the greatest impact on my life in the next year.  From there, I will need to begin changing these three lessons into instructions/personal guidelines for the next year of my life.

I am going to really take my time deciding which three lessons to focus on.  I will remember them all, but I need to focus on just a few of them.  Feels good to know I am making changes in my life for the better. Everyday, I feel a little better than the day before. Feeling good right now, so thankful I found this book.

Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment