October 19, 2012

Learning Patience

Yesterday, my goal at the gym was to conquer the treadmill. The treadmill is like an old friend that you haven't seen in ages.  No matter how much time has gone by, you're able to pick up where you left off as if no time has gone by at all.

I hopped on the treadmill, tuned into the Seahawk's game and just ran.  It was a slow and short run, but I still ran.  I wasn't able to run as fast or as far as I used to, but my mind and body felt right at home.  I finished my cardio by doing 40 minutes on the elliptical. I won't lie, the workout felt good, but I was so distracted by other things going on that I didn't work out to my full abilities. Letting others effect my mood...again.  But, happy I made it to the gym and worked out.  Today will be better, I will leave the distractions at home.

I've been working really hard. Working out daily, walking my dogs more, exercising in front of the TV at night, drinking lots of water and trying to eat better. I decided to hop on the scale this morning. Up 6 lbs. WHAT?!  Not going to lie, every time I start working out and making an effort, I feel like I gain weight which then discourages me from ever going back to the gym.  I know this is because my body is adjusting and I might be gaining muscle faster than I am losing fat, but it still sucks.

So for now, my scale is going far far away.  I think it is important to be aware of your weight, but you should not live for the number. I am making healthy decisions and I need to keep reminding myself to be patient.  Results are not going to come overnight, they happen after a long period of hard work.  I need to learn to be patient and be proud of my progress. Results WILL come eventually.

Eventually, I will pull my scale out of storage and hope for better results. But for now, I will track my progress based on how strong I feel, how my clothes fit and how happy I am.

Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment