October 12, 2012

Learning New Things

If I am every having a bum day or feeling unmotivated, I usually look up quotes.  Nothing inspires me and motivates me more than powerful words.  

I love this one, "It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are". This whole process is kind of strange.  Feels like you are leaving the person you thought you were behind and start on a journey to find out who you really are. I have no idea how long this journey is or if it ever ends.  I don't think you ever get to a spot in life where you completely stop growing and learning things about yourself.  So far, I love the journey.  

I am love discovering new things about myself and things I like to do. In the past few weeks, I have learned I love to bake. I made gluten free cake pops last week while listening to Frank Sinatra with a glass of Pinot Grigio.  How simple, right? I have baked things my entire life, but I don't think I ever realized how much I truly enjoy it. I also discovered I really like doing things that allow me to be creative. I went to Michael's with my coupons and bought a lot of fall decorations. I thoroughly enjoyed decorating my apartment, figuring out where to put things and which types of decor looked best together.  So simple, yet I enjoyed it.  Along with decorating, I realized how much I love to be organized.  I like to keep things neat and tidy and I love to buy cute organizers. These things are so incredibly simple, but they really bring me happiness. 

When I wrote my list of accomplishments and disappointments a couple weeks ago, one thing that really stuck out to me was the fact I had very few hobbies.  What I am slowly realizing is that I do have hobbies, I just didn't consider them hobbies.  The dictionary defines a hobby as an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.  I honestly thought a hobby had to be some expensive, extravagant thing that people like to do.  Couponing, decorating, drawing, cooking, running, baking, reading, organizing, volunteering, wine tasting...these are all hobbies, things I enjoy doing in my spare time.  I never considered these things as hobbies. 

So, I guess this week, I learned I actually have a lot of hobbies.  They might not be expensive, extravagant things, but to me, they are what I enjoy doing in my spare time - meaning, they are my hobbies :)


Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment