October 15, 2012

Any Workout is Better Than None

 Working out used to be my drug of choice. It was a high like none other. I used to work out everyday and would slightly panic if other plans interfered with my workouts. Guilt would set in if I didn't make it to the gym.  I was addicted to the adrenalin I got when I would push my body harder and harder.  Someone at the gym once told me that you're not done working out until you literally can't take another step on the treadmill or do another rep.  Walking to your car after the gym should be a struggle, your legs should be jello. I lived by this, I didn't leave the gym until my clothes were drenched in sweat and my legs were shaking.  I loved to push myself and I felt accomplished when I could run a little bit faster, a little bit longer and lift a little more weight. It is a good feeling watching your body change and get stronger.  I was addicted to it.

My biggest fear was that my love of working out was gone, for good.  I never used to understand when people would say they hated to work out. I honestly thought those people were lazy and frankly crazy.  Working out felt so good, how could someone NOT like it?! Well, I understand now.  Life gets busy and crazy and its hard to remember to set time aside for yourself.  By the time I am done with work, dealing with my dogs and taking care of things around my house, the last thing I want to do is get myself to the gym.

I have been good at going to my personal training classes twice a week, but I struggle to work out on the other days.  I have so many excuses it is ridiculous.  Yesterday, I set my gym clothes on my dining room table. That way, I couldn't blame it on "forgetting".  Having that constant reminder that  I was going to go to the gym in the evening was good.  I mentally prepared myself to go to the gym, to remember to take the time to actually go.  It was 5:00 and I realized the gym closes at 7pm on Sundays.  Instantly my mind said, "see, you can't go to the gym, you don't have enough time".  I stopped myself though.  This excuse was ridiculous, I am not going to be at the gym for two hours, so I have plenty enough.  Heck, 30 minutes on the treadmill is better than nothing.

I went to the gym.  I did the elliptical for 35 minutes with the resistance on and had enough time to do a chest/back workout.  It felt SO good to be at the gym.  The gym was fairly empty.  I watched the Packers game and it was kind of relaxing.  I was so stressed before I went to the gym about my Dad and I had a killer headache.  After 10 minutes on the elliptical, my headache was gone and I felt at ease.

I always feel better after a workout, I have never regretted going to the gym.  So, maybe my love of working out isn't completely gone. Still working on making it a habit, something I automatically want to do everyday.  I am proud of myself for making it to the gym yesterday despite my headache and excuses.  Looking forward to working out with my trainer this evening :)

Jess

1 comments:

  1. Hi
    It is always hard to start, I have been injured for almost a year but once you start the adrenaline rush will get back to you...keep trying you will get there...

    ReplyDelete