December 9, 2010

Moderation is Your Friend

I have been struggling lately with this concept of moderation. Whether it be with eating or working out, I want all or nothing. If I don't have time to do a 90 minute workout or more, I tend not to go at all. This is an attitude that I have struggled with for a while now and it really needs to change. Lately, every time I go to the gym and workout, I leave in pain. I ran four miles at the gym yesterday and finished off with an hour on the elliptical. Today, my knee feels so weak that it is on the verge of dislocating. Why am I not satisfied with four miles?

I have had a few people ask me if I am going to try to train and run a marathon soon. To be honest, I am so scared. If I don't get this moderation issue under control, I am going to end up hurting myself like I have in the past. I tend to try and "beat" my training schedule. If it says "Run 4 miles", I will end up running 5 just because I can. The point of a training schedule is not to beat it.

My struggle with moderation will not stop me from reaching my goals to be a marathoner. I suppose I need to take each day one at a time and remember too much of a good thing is actually a bad thing.

1 comments:

  1. Oh my...When I first started running, many many years ago, I tried to beat my training schedule as well, only it was 2 miles more everyday....I didn't make it to the start line of my first marathon...or my second marathon...I finally got it! Less is always better! With added strength training. I haven't had a stress fracture for 11 years..(knock on wood). Good luck with your training. That moderation thing is hard.

    ReplyDelete