April 27, 2010

Raw Food Anyone?

I have this new obsession I must tell you about. Raw food.

I took my finals for winter quarter last month. Finals are stressful. I feel like I eat a ton of comfort foods during finals week to ease the stress. Not sure why I do it because when finals week is over, I feel like a slug. A slug full of over processed, fat foods. Instead of running and working out a little bit more, I tried something a bit more drastic. I did a 21 day raw food detox.

The 21 day raw food detox was A-MAZING. I was able to eat all fruits, vegetables, brown rice, nuts, seeds, juice, tea and soy products. This detox required me to give up bread, dairy and meat. This was incredibly hard for me because my usual diet consisted of bread, dairy and meat.

I started out my day with a smoothie with orange juice, any fruit and chia seeds. Lunch, I ate raw almonds, bananas and brown rice cakes. Snacks would consist of raw fruits and veggies. Dinner was the hardest meal to figure out what to eat. I ate a lot of tofu for dinner as well as brown rice with lots of veggies. I allowed myself to drink coffee and drank a lot of soy milk and water.

This detox forced me to change the way I ate. I began shopping at the Food Co-Op as well as the natural section in the grocery store. Since I was so limited on what I could eat, I stopped looking at the amount of calories in the food, and started looking at the ingredients. Its important to be aware of the calories, but the ingredients are so important! Once I started reading the ingredient list of the back of food, my food options became endless! I don't normally cook 'raw', so I looked to many blogs and websites for help. Also, going out to eat became almost impossible. I had to seek out restaurants that were vegan, or had vegan options. The first week of the detox was the worst. All I wanted was a loaf of bread and cheetos. By the second week, all of my cravings disappeared. I started to have more energy and fewer headaches.

The 21 days are over and I feel amazing. I am a trimmed down, healthier version of myself. Although I don't plan to become vegan, I do want to incorporate more vegan options into my current diet. I have learned how to cook with more fruits and veggies and eat less bread. I know this detox is not realistic for everyone, but I would highly recommend it.

Raw foods to the rescue :)

8 comments:

  1. Very healthy!!!

    Cheers from Hong Kong!


    "XTB"Xavi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I am obsessed with the idea of raw but haven't really crossed over. I may have to try the 21 day detox. It sounds like the perfect trial run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job girl! I am not vegetarian or vegan but I really just don't like meat that much so my diet is made up of a lot of the stuff on this detox menu. I really enjoy incorporating raw foods into my diet everyday. I always try to see how much I can fix in. I am not trying that hard so it is currently just like 10%.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I definitely pig out when I'm studying. Let me know how this pans out in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about craving comfort foods during finals. I definitely should try this raw food detox, especially if it gives you more energy. My friend tried it too, and said it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is indeed great obsession...love raw foods too..

    ReplyDelete