October 21, 2009

Shin Fracture

October has been a great month. Not only did I get to celebrate my 300 mile victory, I also signed up for my very first full marathon. After my 300 miles, I took a couple weeks off to recover. I was having really bad shin splints, so I bought new shoes and thought time off would solve the issue. After nearly two weeks off running, I decided to begin my marathon training. I started off with a very slow, light run. I made it 20 minutes into my run before I began running with a limp. I turned around and walked home, talk about disappointing! Not the greatest start to my marathon training. So, I went home and iced my poor shins and tried massaging the muscles.

The weird thing was, normally both my shins hurt, where as this time, only my right shin hurt. When massaging my right shin, I felt this bump on the bone which was definitely not supposed to be there. So, I met with my doctor and he told me I most definitely have a shin fracture. The X-rays showed a small fracture in my right shin. One cool thing, my X-ray chart said "Jessica: Avid runner with possible fracture in right shin" <-- "avid runner"? Ill take it :) My prescription? Six weeks, no running. My eyes welled up with tears and the doctor looked at me like I was an idiot. If you aren't a runner, you just don't understand what if feels like to be told you cant run. Its like a prison sentence. When I told my Dad, he didnt understand either and told me "you're killing yourself". Although my marathon is not until may, I am very nervous that this is going to take too much time away from training and hinder my running.

Running? Its what I do. Its my drug of choice. It gives you this incredible high, so much adrenaline pumping through your body. I finally found something that I am good at, one injury is not going to stop me. I suppose this injury has taught me the importance of allowing my body to recover after a run. I need to slow it down rather than running my hardest all the time. I will definitely stretch and ice way more than I did before. Doctor has allowed me to bike and swim. I was so used to running and exercising outside that I forgot what its like to go to a gym. Not going to lie, I really dont like it. But for now, I will have to deal with it. One hard thing about being injured, besides not being able to run, is controlling my eating habits. When you are running like crazy, you get so used to eating much more food than you normally would. Although I am still working out, I am definitely not working out as hard as I was before since I am so limited on what I can do. Since I am so used to eating large amounts of food, its been really hard cutting back.

6 weeks is much better than a couple months. This is a learning lesson as well as a great opportunity to improve my biking and swimming skills! Who knows, maybe a triathalon is in my near future ;)

10 comments:

  1. Bummer!! Six weeks will go by fast, though. Heal fast! and take that time off seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog jess! i agree running is a drug of choice and non-athlete's don't understand! just like me getting told I can't swim anymore with my shoulder. I am going to find a doc that will let me swim (preferably pain free)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heal quick! Definitely try aqua jogging at the pool, as it is a great workout. You'll be back on your feet soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I like a lot your blog! Second, if you have a look at mine, you will see that I had same issue (without fracture) just before my first triathlon race last week...and a lot of ice and rest helped me to be ready at least for 10K....but of course 42K is much more running! Take care and hope you will be soon recovered!

    Congratulations for your blog!

    "XTB" Xavi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your Blog while Blog Hopping. I live in Puyallup, WA. Have been looking for some local Bloggers...so sorry about your injury OUCH!!

    I am thinking of running Eugene too...I like that it is FLAT.. It is either Eugene or Tacoma. I will be training with the Fleet Feet in Bonney Lake.

    anyhow, thought I would say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your shin. :( While I'm pretty new to running, I definitely agree with it being my "drug of choice". It would be hard to go without it.

    Here's hoping 6 weeks go by quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came across your blog - so sorry to hear about your shin. Hang in there, you will have plenty of time to train for your marathon after you heal..... but make sure you let it completely heal.

    I know how frustrating injuries can be, but they will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
    謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

    參觀,Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came across your blog and have been trying to catch up on your training for your first marathon. I'm training for my first as well, in Newport, OR on June 5th. Good luck with your training.

    RJ
    www.mindoverbodymarathon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete