September 22, 2009

Jess, Meet Your Scale...

I moved recently. I don't like packing or the actual move, but unpacking is so fun. I love decorating the place and organizing things the way I like things. I was putting the final touches on my apartment, putting pictures on the walls, setting out candles, oh and, finding a place for my dreaded scale. I found the perfect spot in my bathroom for my scale. I really have never understood why I own a scale. I feel guilty if I do not own one, but I never use it. Every time I walk in the bathroom I try not to even look at it. When I go to the doctors office and they ask to weigh me, I specifically ask them not to tell me the number. A scale is a constant reminder of my weight. I work out to feel good, not for a dumb number on my scale. I like to be aware of this number, but I don't let this number rule my life. I eat to stay healthy, to fuel my body and I work out like a maniac. To me, weight is important, but I am not going to let it control me.

When I took my scale out of the box, I tapped on the glass and just my luck the batteries were dead. My first thought was, "oh thank goodness". I hate seeing that number. It makes me feel terrible about myself. So, I put batteries on my grocery list and went back to unpacking. Well, I have had these batteries for four days now and just now got the courage to put them in my scale. I stepped on my scale with my eyes shut. When I opened my eyes I was pleasantly surprised. Down 10 pounds from the last time I weighed myself which was almost a year ago. What a relief!

I really wish I had enough courage to write my weight on this blog for accountability reasons. But unfortunately I don't. I really want to become comfortable with my scale. The scale is not my enemy. I am no where near obese or overweight, so honestly, why should I fear the scale? The scale should be my friend, should help me in training, and help me track progress. I would like to start weighing myself once a week. My goal is to keep this number in the back of my mind to track progress. This number is simply just a number to me, and I will not let it get the best of me. I work out for me, I work out to feel good not for a number.

4 comments:

  1. Jess, you do such a great job with your routine and work so hard that you should never have to be ashamed of a number on the scale. Unless you're a boxer or mma fighter and need to fit into a particular weight class, there should be no connotation attached to how much you weigh. I've probably said this before, but how you feel and what you see in the mirror are the only things that are important and that scale should not have any power to influence you. Keep up the great work, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog, but I too am just beginning my running efforts. I will stop back and read daily to stay inspired. Its cool to know you started where I am.

    Nicole
    @nicoleelise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
    謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

    參觀,Thanks

    ReplyDelete