September 8, 2009

83 Miles in 8 Days

8 days ago I set a goal. My goal was to run 300 miles in the month of September. I have listened to many runners tell me how stupid this idea is, but you know what, I can do it. I have run 83 miles in the last 8 days and my body feels so good. I have iced like crazy, stretched, worn my compression socks and have begun using Arnica Gel. As long as my body says yes, I am going to run. I am 83 miles in and my body keeps saying yes. I have heard from many people that this is a terrible idea and I am going to hurt myself. But I have said it once and I will say it again, I am not going to jeopardize my body and risk hurting myself. If my body starts to hurt I will stop, even if it means not meeting my goal.
Tuesday - 7
Wednesday - 16
Thursday - 4
Friday - 10
Saturday - 25
Sunday - Rest
Monday - 9
Tuesday - 12
Yes, 83 miles in one week. I plan to take the following weeks much easier with more rest time. I felt on a roll this past week though. My body feels fantastic. No pain, no shin splints and no muscle weakness. I have run at a little slower pace than usual.

On today's 12 mile run, I ran with my Nathan Fuel Belt for the first time. Let me tell you, I LOVED it! It was very comfortable and didn't bounce around too much. It was so nice to have water with me at all times and really nice to have a pocket for my Blackberry. I wish I would have got a fuel belt sooner!

2 comments:

  1. I think what you are doing is fine! Now I wish I could do it but the fact that your body is able to then more power to you!! There are people that do things crazier than this I am sure. Just listen very closely to physical and emotional signs of weakness. good luck on this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! Everyone told me I was crazy to run a marathon to begin with, and I was fine. As long as you listen to your body, you should have no trouble kicking your goal in the butt.

    ReplyDelete