September 27, 2009

300 MILES STRONG!

Its official. I have officially ran 300 miles in the month of September. 300 miles is the distance between my home and Washington State University over in Pullman, WA. I burned an average of 129 calories per mile totaling to 38,700 calories in one month.

See those legs in the picture? Honestly, I have hated my legs my entire life. I have the legs of a soccer player. They are thick and muscular. When people would ask, "Whats one thing you would change about your body if you could?" I would always respond with my legs. They were big and ugly. I couldn't fit into the jeans everyone else would wear because my thighs were too big. When I began running a year ago, I was so self conscious. They would jiggle every time my foot hit the ground. So I began to run in yoga pants to cover them up.

Those legs in that picture, those soccer player legs ran 300 miles this month. Those legs helped me reach my goal this month. I love my legs. They are muscular and strong and they can out run most people. For this, my legs are my best asset. How could I not love my legs? Yeah, they may never be super skinny, but hey, I'm not really into the anorexic look anyways. My legs have taken me to new place, new heights and have set the bar for future goals. I now run in shorts. I don't care if my legs jiggle when I run, because that's not why I run. I am bettering myself, jiggly legs is the least of my worries.

I know I always talk about staying positive and never letting negativity get in the way of things. But honestly, when I set this goal, I just threw out a number. The first number that came to mind was 300. I didn't realize 300 miles meant an average of 10 miles a day. The goal was overwhelming and honestly, I didn't think I could do it. Yeah the goal looked good on paper, but in reality I never thought I could average 10 miles a day. So many people told me I couldn't do it and that this was a 'dumb runner" move. I was so determined to prove them wrong. Well, 27 days later and I am thoroughly amazed with myself. For all of you who doubted me and told me I couldn't do it, WHAT NOW?!

I went to Starbucks this morning before going on my last 15 miles. I couldn't even think. Run, run, run. That's all that was going through my mind. I ran fast and I ran hard. I blocked out my shin splints and I just ran. These last 15 miles were more than just a run for me, they were the last few miles of my journey. When I hit 14 miles, it hit me. I had one mile left, 7 more minutes and my goal would be behind me. Tears of happiness came streaming out and didn't stop. Now, I can finally say, I ran a strong 300 miles this month. What an accomplishment. My body has changed. I see muscles I never knew I had, my pants are starting to get loose in the waist and tush. I feel so good. If I can run 300 miles in one month, I know I can do anything. All the tears and all the pain, its all worth it in the end. I have so much to live for and I have so much to run for.

I hope other runners take this challenge of setting a goal that seems impossible because the feeling on the other side, well, its out of this world. Take the challenge, do the miles, then bask in the glory. :)

Life is so good :)

5 comments:

  1. Good job on your 300 miles ! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300 miles = 482 kilometers in french !
    Very impressed too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, you proved us and yourself that mind and will are so much important to run as legs and muscles are. You did history, something you can tell everybody for a long time and feel proud of what you did. And let me say, it is somehow more impressive than running a single marathon. You rock! Glad to know you. Roberto

    ReplyDelete