September 26, 2009

15 Miles

15 miles. 15 miles is the distance from my apartment to the mall and back. 15 miles is really not that far. Today, I am proud to say that 15 miles is all I have left of my 300 mile goal. As I sit on my deck and blog, I can honestly say that for once, I am so proud of myself.
All month I have been trying to think of something that I can reward myself with at the end of the month when I finish my goal. Maybe a pedicure, manicure, or a massage? I just couldn't think of anything to reward myself with. For a while, I didn't think I even needed a reward for myself. Now that it is closer to the end of the month and have completed 285 miles, I know just what I want. I want something tangible, something I can hold on to for the rest of my life. I want to be able to look back and remember ever single mile. I learned something new about myself on every single mile and that's why I never want to forget this journey.

My first tangible gift to myself will be a new pair of kicks. At first, this was going to be my only reward for running 300 miles. But when I got to thinking, I need to buy new running shoes anyways so its not really a gift because I was going to do that anyways. So as I sat reading some finance down at Starbucks today, I thought of the perfect gift to myself. Once I finish running my 300 miles, I am going to take a picture of my shoes and have it framed. Not a huge picture, just a small one. This picture will be a daily reminder of just how strong and capable I am. If I can accomplish 300 miles in one month, honestly, I can do anything and nothing is out of reach. Those shoes took me on quite the journey and I want to remember ever second of the journey. This is a gift that will never 'go out of style' and I can hold on to forever.
I am so excited to run the last 15 miles of my goal. I can't even count how many times someone told me I couldn't do this and that this was such a bad idea. "You're going to hurt yourself". "This is such a bad idea, just sayin'". When I got my concussion, I believed them for just a second. Numerous people have told me I am crazy and nuts, which I am. Only a crazy person would run 300 miles in a month ;). I don't know anyone else who has ran 300 miles in one month, but I am so happy to say that I will be the first. I learned a lot about myself as a runner and also as a person. Many miles were filled of tears, few were filled with smiles, but all of them were filled with pure heart and dedication. For that, I am proud.

So, for all of you out there who told me I couldn't do it, these last 15 are for you!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome, way to go! Just goes to show that anything is possible if you put your mind to it, against what anyone might say. It opens up a whole new set of possibilities and goals for you to accomplish next!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite theh accomplishment! Definitely worth more than a mani/pedi :) That is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is so cool that you're going to meet your goal! Definitely reward yourself with something tangible, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! Congrats!! You are my inspiration for trying to run 300 miles once I recover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoever said you can't do it is a fool. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete