August 27, 2009

My Running World

Not going to lie, this has been a rough day. Today has been a day full of bitterness and jealousy. Two terrible things to feel. Later today, someone made an insanely rude sarcastic comment to me via twitter. Why do people have to talk other people down in order to make themselves feel better. All I have to say is, I feel sorry for them. Nothing like kicking me when I am already down. I don't want any part of their negativity.

When I first saw this comment, the first thing that popped in my mind was, RUN. Get me out of here. Get me away from the negativity. Running takes me to a different world. One in which there is no negativity. To a runner, negativity is a road block. It is the only thing that can separate me from the finish line. The moment I tell myself "I can't", I will never reach my goal. In the running world, positivity helps me and guides me towards the finish.

The moment things go wrong in the real world, I escape to my running world. In my running world, its just me, no one else exists. I run for me, I race for me, I compete for me. I race against me, myself and I. None of life stresses or problems are allowed in the running world. Its a strict "leave your problems at the door" policy. Problems and stress, just like negativity, stand in the way of my goal. In the running world, there is no one there to talk you down, to tell you you're not good enough.

Why do I run? I run to escape. What am I running from? From all of life's pressures. This world is so quick to tell us what we can and can't be. Call me self centered, but I run to a place where only I matter and where I can be whatever I want to be. Where I don't have to compete against anyone else but myself. A place where I can focus on bettering myself and only myself. The running world, well, is a dream come true.

Days like today, where I have been kicked and stomped on, I am thankful to escape to a better place, even if it is for only 30 minutes. Running is my escape, it is the only thing that keeps me sane in this crazy mixed up world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment