August 18, 2009

Happy Hour + Running

One of the many joys of being 21, I can finally join my friends for Happy Hour. I am going back to school in a month, so I like to see my friends as much as I can before I leave. My dilemma, do I run before or after happy hour? Well, if I run before happy hour, I don't really have time to come home and shower and I am more pressed for time on my run. But, if I run after happy hour, I will most likely run much slower and have less energy due to running with alcohol and food in my stomach. Yesterday, I decided to try running after happy hour. It was warm outside and I figured it would be cooler outside when I got home. Well, two lemon drops later and I was off for a run. Not going to lie, I surprisingly had a TON of energy. I ran 6 miles at a 7:30 pace which was shocking. Although I ran at a pretty good pace, I also was beat after those 6 miles. Not sure if I will ever try running after happy hour again, but I am glad I fit in a run yesterday.

I also happened to try GU the other day. I have heard wonderful things about it and I decided to give it a try. I immediately had a lot of energy. My runs have been much longer and stronger with the GU. I really wish I would have tried it sooner!

5 comments:

  1. The days I know I'm going out after work with my bf for a date or the gfs for happy hour, I run in the morning. Personally, I cannot run after I just ate or drank alcohol.

    If you find it doesn't bother you, then you probably don't need to worry. I would watch out for stomach cramps (from just eating) and dehydration (from alcohol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder your run felt good, you weren't feeing any pain from the alcohol. A friend of mine who is a coach wants to do a study about the effects of alcohol after training. Pounding beers and bourbon after a ride seems to work for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady: You are very good runner... Congratulations.. I will check your improves day to day... You are my inspiration!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha - i love buzzed running! i used to do that a lot. but now, i usually promise one or two drinks and then...it's six or nine. lol...oops :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - be sure to check out my blog, I tagged you in "Show Your Heart"!

    ReplyDelete