August 3, 2009

DO IT! - Call Me Fat

I have lost weight, I feel great. I think other people are starting to notice. Some people tell me I look great, they can notice a difference. (This is my 'before' so called 'fat' stage) While other people say "WOW, man you used to look pretty plump!" Plump? Really? When I think of plump, I think of plums. Yes, fat purple plums. Did I used to look like a fat purple plum? I am 5'8 and used to be a size 8, now am a size 6. Is 5'8 and a size 8 plump? How about fat? Because I never thought of myself as fat or plump. Although I am happy that I have lost a little weight, I really hate it when people tell me they thought I was fat. Its a low blow to me. Some people like to go on and on about it too. "Like omigosh! I totally used to be grossed out by your stomach, and you used to be so thick." "You used to be so fat, like, really fat!" "How did you do it? I mean, you were so big before!" "How were you even able to run before? You were pretty big" Thanks, you can stop now. I am proud of the body I was given, even if it was a size 8. Who cares. There is more to me than the size of my jeans.

I like to think I have always had a lot of self confidence. But it is comments like these that really get me down. I had a friend once (hope they're not reading lol) tell me I looked like I was on the Big Mac diet. Yes I said it. Me and my size 8 jeans looked like we were on the Big Mac diet. I about crawled over the table and pounded the guy. Seriously? And we wonder why society is the way it is. Guys need to keep their mouths shut. Unless it is going to be a respectful compliment, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! Us girls, we remember every single comment that people make about us, especially about our bodies. I can even remember, way back in junior high, a guy looked at my binder and told me I looked fat in one of my pictures. FAT? I was a size 00. I don't think I had an ounce of fat on my body. But at the time, I believed it. For a while, I allowed myself to hate my body because some lousy guy who had nothing better to do called me fat.
I am not going to let these negative comments get me down. I am not going to starve myself or hate my body. So, go ahead, tell me I am fat, better yet, on the big mac diet! Its just more motivation baby. I'll take it out on the pavement later ;)

3 comments:

  1. Ugh, people. I think girls are the worst though. Yes, guys say some dumb s*** sometimes, but girls (some of them) actually try to be mean and hurtful!

    Size 8 fat? Absolutely not! I'm 5'8" and was a 16...now that is fat! I hated it. HATED IT! I was 22 and hated it! Now I'm 24, a size 10ish and still shrinking. Striving to be a size 8.

    Keep up the good work! Keep on rockin'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let sizes and weights be your barometer when it comes to evaluating your body. Nobody knows how much you weigh or what the tag on your jeans says unless you tell them. What you see in the mirror is the only thing that's important. I can tell you that personally, I've never seen a bad body at 5'8" in size 8 jeans.

    I always find myself shaking my head when I hear a friend or coworker talk about losing 5 or 10 pounds, or dropping a size or two because I know that even if those things occur they ultimately won't be happy with their appearance. Changing what they see on the scale doesn't automatically improve what they see in the mirror. Instead of "I wanna lose 5 lbs," why not "I wanna shave a minute off my mile," or "I'd like to be strong enough to do 5 pullups." Working towards those goals will cause the body to change purposefully on its own.

    I've been out of shape at 170 lbs and a powerfully athletic force at 180 lbs. Now, as I train to run I've found that my body likes to be 165 lbs and has taken on a shape different than any previous incarnation of myself. I find it fascinating and quite satisfying.

    My point (I promise I've got one) is that you decide what looks good. What qualifies as looking good to you will change and evolve over time along with your fitness goals. You can't please everybody so concentrate on the only person that really matters: you. The people that truly care will support you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I loved this post! First, 5'8" and a size 8 is NOT fat! What is wrong with people? I'm sure they are just jealous. Also, remember that, because you are an athlete, you may (lbs wise) weigh more because you have more muscle. Regardless of any of this, Neal is absolutely right...what matters is how you feel! Do you feel healthy? Strong? What matters is what YOU think!! Women will forever attempt to fit some image...but what matters is if you are comfortable in your own skin.

    You look great in your 'before' pic! Can't imagine you've lost another size since that pic! Just stay strong and be true to yourself...there will always be nay-sayers...haters even...I'm tellin' ya...jealousy! Your revenge...to run stronger and faster!!! Keep it up, girlie!!

    ReplyDelete