August 7, 2009

DailyBurn.com

I need help. I am really having trouble with this lifestyle makeover. I just forget to pay attention to the foods I put into my body. I can honestly say I have really cut down on the amount of food I intake, but sometimes I don't keep track of the types of food I eat. When beginning this lifestyle makeover, the plan was to never count calories. I want to just listen to my body to determine what to eat. Sometimes my body tells me to eat Cheetos rather than carrots. So, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot only rely on what my body tells me, but I have to mentally track what I eat.

I decided to sign up with http://www.thedailyplate.com/. This web site was so hard to use. I could blog on the site, post pictures, meet 'friends', and track workouts. Not really what I was looking for. So I signed up with http://www.dailyburn.com/. I like this site better than the first one, but it is still hard use. I don't always have my computer at the tips of my fingers to record every single thing i eat. When I cook, do I have to manually find every ingredient? No thank you. I don't have time for that. I just want a tool that will help me track what I eat. Maybe a food diary on a plain piece of paper would be better. I am still not sure what to do, but I do know I want to be accountable for what I eat.

I never wanted to ever have to calorie count. Calorie counting makes me really not want to eat at all. I feel super guilty eating things when I know how many calories it has. I logged on the http://www.dailyburn.com/ today to record my breakfast. It informed me the the amount of creamer I used in my coffee today total was over 130 calories of pure fat. Awesome. While it is good that I am aware of this, I really am not willing to give up my creamer at this point. I guess this tool will inform me of what I am eating and help me make conscientious choices when it comes to eating.
Times like these make me wonder, how does everyone else stay on track and eat healthy? I would love to hear tips about how to stay on track and how to track what I eat. At this point, I just really need to be accountable for the foods I eat. I need to shed a couple more pounds to be able to shed a couple seconds off my mile time. I want to do it in a healthy way by eating smart and exercising.

4 comments:

  1. calorie counting sucks, but I feel it is important )to a certain extent). Like you said, you feel guilty about eating something when you know how many calories are in it. Feeling guilty isn't the good part, but realizing how many calories are in it is. If you're not willing to sacrifice your creamer just yet, maybe sacrifice something else. A handful of Cheetos, a cookie, or piece of chocolate (those are just examples, only you know what you eat and are willing to sacrifice).

    I actually just blogged about this the other day. Why I eat the way I do, for how long, and why I don't consider it a "diet". It might help.
    http://runjenhrun.blogspot.com/2009/08/let-me-explain.html

    If you really want to stay away from the calorie counting, I would stick with natural foods. Nuts, fruits, veggies, beans, and lean meats. Really, it's hard to go wrong with those. As long as you are eating enough fruit/veggies, I think you can eat till you're satisfied and still have the creamer in your coffee (although you may want to switch to at least half and half - but it sounds like you already know that). I know - it's hard giving up the things you know and love. It's a process, doesn't happen overnight!

    Stick with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey

    I use http://www.myfitnesspal.com pretty good one too but too much counting drives you nuts.
    But in the other hands good to know what goes into your body....
    Keep it up!!

    Nesrineleene

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great way to keep your food intake down is to eat slowly. It is so easy to overeat if you eat quickly, because more often than not, you think you are still hungry when your stomach is actually full. Eating slowly lets your brain catch up to your stomach.

    Another handy and really easy thing to do is to eat everything off of a plate or bowl. I know this sounds like common sense, but it is really easy to overeat if you eat right out of a bag (because you lose track of how much you've already had). Even if it is just a little snack, take out however much you think you need and eat only that. It also helps to use smaller plates because people tend to eat less when using smaller plates.

    Another thing: It is okay to leave food on your plate if you are full. You can always save leftovers.

    Also, try to not let yourself get to that point where you are out and about and don't get a chance to eat, and then just eat whatever is available right there because you are so hungry. Carry around a small healthy snack like almonds or granola that can tide you over.

    As far as healthy foods, calories do matter to an extent, but always keep in mind that where that calorie comes from is more important for a healthy lifestyle. For example, if you need butter for a recipe, consider using olive oil instead. Olive oil has a ton of calories, but it is so much better for you than butter. Maybe you can try nonfat creamer for your coffee (but then, even that is not very healthy. It has a lot of sugar, which can turn to fat if not used up in your body). Maybe you could try nonfat milk, or consider drinking tea. It has less caffeine, but if you make a strong cup of black tea, it has about half the amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee.

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went through this same thing a few years ago. I've been a runner for over 10 years but the older I get the slower my metabolism so I finally had a "come to Jesus" about counting calories. I've looked at online counters, too, but I spend too much time on the computer at work so about the last thing I want to do after hours is...sit on my computer.

    So I went old skool and bought a calorie count book and sat down (over the course of about a week) and looked up foods/liquids I had frequently. Then I negotiated with myself -- did I need to cut out certain foods or simply use better portion control. I've always eaten healthy so portion control was my big ah-ha moment. The next thing I did was include a good 110ish calorie protein-rich snack at 10am and 3pm (Greek yogurt is a favorite). That really helped me with portion control. I try not to let myself get to the point of being starving. Some days are better than others!

    Calorie counting is, regretfully, important but more important is simply increasing your food knowledge so you can make good decisions about what to eat and when. Then you won't have to count calories -- you can simply approximate in your head.

    Another idea is keeping a food journal for a few weeks -- you'd be amazed at the hidden calories we intake. While I don't keep a journal all of the time -- I will track a couple of weeks several times a year -- just to keep me honest!

    Good luck -- it's a constant battle but definately worth the effort!!

    ReplyDelete