August 14, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-CHIA!

Took me a while, but I finally came up with a few short term goals for myself.
  • Run my first race (pedicure and manicure)
  • Sign up for the Seattle Marathon (not sure yet)
  • Join a running group (not sure yet)
  • Lose 5 pounds by October 1st
  • Lose 10 pounds by Christmas

Theses are my main running goals. I have a couple other goals for myself as well that have to do with nutrition. Today I was drinking my coffee and I picked up the creamer container. 45 calories for one serving. One bottle of that poison has 65 servings. 65?! Wow, I go through a whole bottle of creamer a WEEK. 65*45=2925 calories. That is almost a whole pound (1lb = 3500 calories). I would lose almost one pound a week if i just cut my creamer from my diet. Wow. I have no problem eating healthy, but this creamer is really getting the best of me. My goal is to slowly cut creamer from my diet. I hope to use less and less everyday and slowly start using half and half and honey instead. When I go to Starbucks, I always get an Americano with Half and Half and a tsp of honey. Why can't I do that at home too? If I have creamer in the house, I am going to use it. I just don't have enough will power right now to totally cut it out of my diet, because honestly I love the taste and its a comfort thing for me. So my ultimate goal is to be able to have creamer in the house, but not feel the need to use it, except for an occasional Sunday morning or so.

I also discovered the magical powers of Chia seeds. Yes, the same chia sprouts on Chia Pets. I have read that one tablespoon of Chia seeds will sustain and individual for 24 hours! These seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, antioxidants, fiber, calcium, iron and zinc. When the chia seeds sit in water (or in the stomach) they form a gel. This gel helps slow the process in which the digestive enzymes break down carbohydrates and turn them to sugars. This helps prevent some of the calories we consume from being absorbed into our system. I have also heard that these seeds help curb your appetite as well!

I decided to give these seeds a whirl. I put them into water first, but, I just couldn't get myself to drink the seeds. I decided to mix in the seeds with my home made raspberry jam and spread it on toast. Not going to lie, it looked like kitty litter on top of toast with jam. I was pleasantly surprised. The seeds had NO taste and just added a little more crunch to the toast. The seeds were very good. I don't feel like a super woman after eating the seeds, but I have heard that after a couple weeks of consuming the seeds, people notice a difference in their weight and appetite. No matter if they help me lose weight or not, I am going to try to eat these chia seeds every day because I know they are good for me! I paid 10 dollars for a 10 oz bottle, which is on the expensive side, but I would say it was well worth it!

**EDIT: I have received negative feedback because I am "counting calories". Repeat, I am NOT and never have counted calories. I am just trying to live a healthier life and eat more natural and unprocessed foods. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be more conscientious about what I eat. Please, leave your negativity home and please do not bring it to my blog. Thanks - Jess :)

5 comments:

  1. I would suggest not looking at it as "calorie counting." You are just making yourself aware of exactly what you're putting in your body. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. I think you are doing it the right way. Your figuring out what is good and bad for you, then deciding if it's worth it or not. Just be aware that calories are not the only things to watch out for. Creamer has other damaging chemicals in them, "90 calories packs" also have some negative chemicals.

    Ultimately, a healthy transformation isn't going to be done over night. It sounds like you ARE on the right track. Keep it up! You're doing great.

    PS - great goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading the book Born to Run and they talk about these seeds. I want to get them. Where did you buy them? what is the link?

    You rec'd negative comments about counting calories? Those people are probably fat themselfs. My GF has lost almost 10 lbs from watching her calories and using SparkPeople online. You have the right idea on the creamer etc. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey
    Great goals and i really think counting calories is not bad, because I do the same. It kills me sometimes that a creamer because i love it too could add up that much calories...eventhough when you think about it it doesnt fill you or it doesn't do anything but give you some sort of satisfaction...you wonder if it is worth all the calories in it... I admit cutting on it slowly and slowly is not bad... I do agree with Jen that it has some bad chemical product as well... Recently I have been trying to Use light soya Milk somehow it is sweet, and good for you...you should try it. I love your goals i should set some for myself...Keep up the good work...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! The seeds are from Granolas. You can buy them at any natural food store and I have heard Amazon is a great place to buy them too!

    On the whole creamer topic, I think I may try Vanilla Soy milk. I never thought of it until now, but I just love the vanilla taste in coffee. I am going to get some tonight, hope I like it so I can cut the creamer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing wrong with counting calories or watching what you eat. I don't usually count calories because I am a vegetarian, but I am an avid label reader :) I do it because I want to make sure that I am eating "balanced."

    Don't worry about what they say, If a person does not pay attention to what goes into their body then how are they supposed to know what things are the ones that are making them unhealthy...

    Whenever you are doing something good for yourself, there will always be people that are going to try to say negative things.

    Zuleika - (ZuleAzul)

    ReplyDelete