August 11, 2009

17 Miles to Start the Week

Last week was bitter sweet. Although I fell off the running wagon, I had a great birthday week. Now that my birthday week is over, its time to get back into running. I lost motivation last week. It was as if I forgot why I fell in love with running. I let too many distractions get in the way, and I really lost sight of my goal. As much as I love running alone, it makes it really hard to stay accountable. I really needed a swift kick in the butt last week to get me going. I really struggle with motivation lately. I constantly feel like I don't have time to run which is so not true! My birthday was last week, and I move in two weeks. I have a lot going on, but I definitely need to make time for running. I need to just schedule time for running, just as I would for a friend.

I went full throttle yesterday and ran 17 miles. The temperature was in the 60's with light rain, it was perfect for a long run. Although 17 miles sounds long, it actually was refreshing and came pretty easy. I had some leg stiffness due to not running for a week, but I felt pretty good. I did the 17 miles with an average pace of 8:31. I ran through a very hilly residential area which really tired my legs out. I did walk a tiny bit, which threw off my average pace. Overall, this was a great run. It was just what I needed to get me back on track! It is runs like this one that show me I should never doubt myself. An awesome run to start off my week.

I really hope I don't have another week like the one I had last week. I felt guilty all week. I often compare running to a relationship. I felt like I was cheating on running. Maybe, when I was ready to see running again, it wouldn't want me back. I want to be with running forever, I don't ever want to break up with it. We have been through a lot together and I really don't know what I would do without it.


I was reading a fellow blogger's blog (Jen) the other day. She set up mini goals for herself and picked out rewards for herself when she reached the goal. What an awesome idea!! Although I think running is rewarding in itself, I think it is a great idea to set up smaller goals to help yourself reach the bigger goals. Its great to look at the big picture and your main goal, but it is nice to have smaller goals to help keep you on track. In the next couple of days I am going to make a list of my smaller goals. I think seeing them on paper will really help me out. I will post these goals on here to keep me accountable.

3 comments:

  1. 17 miles...impressive! Sometimes you just need a good long run to get you in the groove again. I too treat running like a relationship...a very rewarding, healthy, but emotional relationship.

    I am a very goal oriented person. I set them for all sorts of things. I also enjoy rewards. You're right running (or in my case weight loss) is a reward, but sometimes it's nice to have a little extra!

    Keep up the good work. Stay strong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome job on your 17 miler!!! keep it up girlie - you CAN run seattle!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 17 miles! Woohooo! Way to go! My goals (mini or otherwise) usually involve a race. Especially now that I'm training for a marathon, I have smaller, shorter runs (which are really events that I haven't signed up for yet) that will hopefully keep me on track. I think the only "reward" I've ever allowed myself to have was my bike. I committed to running a 10K. If I could run the ENTIRE 10K (no walking), then I would allow myself to buy my bike finally to train for my triathlon. That was a great treat for me!

    I'm can't wait to see your goals and your rewards. What do you have in mind exactly?

    Keep running, girl! You are really doing awesome! As always...love ur blog!

    ReplyDelete