July 16, 2009

Block Out the Pain and Feel Your Success!


I have had a lot of people asking me lately on how I cut my mile time in half within the last year. I began running a year ago and started running one mile a day until i could run one mile without stopping at an 8:30 pace. This took a lot of time to be able to increase my speed. During this time I was doing a lot of cross training such as lifting weights (even if it was at home in front of the TV during Oprah), and biking.
After this period of time I began focusing mainly on running. I would pick a landmark, and run until I reached the landmark. Each day, I would try to run a little further and further.
Back in February when I decided to train for a marathon, I changed my workouts. Currently, I do one long run a week (between 10 and 15 miles). I also do one "mile best" every week, where I run one mile as fast as I can (which is about 5:50). I try to run at least 4 days a week, a couple of miles at an easy pace (9-10 minute miles). I also do a lot of cross training like swimming, biking, walking, free weights and the stair master. Completing the 'mile best' every week has really helped my training. I'm really not sure why, but it has. Also, the compression socks I talked about early really help! I don't feel so much pressure in my feet when I wear them.
I think the key is to work out every day, cross train and work on "mile bests". Also, taking baths with Epsom salt and icing to prevent injury helps so I don't have to take a ton of time off to rest up.
While all of the training helps, in my opinion, running is purely mental. Learning to block out the pain while staying motivated is the key to success. Make sure to have good music that will motivate you and clear your mind of all the other stresses in your life. Set a goal of where you want to run to and give yourself a time limit. Focus on yourself and how your body feels.
Block out the pain and feel your success!

0 comments:

Post a Comment