July 16, 2009

Healthy Eating in the Workplace

I would say the hardest part of training overall has been controlling my eating habits. I find it very hard to stick with an eating plan when my schedule is all over the place. Between working and going to school, it is very hard to find time to cook and prepare healthy meals. And I have to admit, I have quite the sweet tooth :). So today I have decided to start being more aware of the foods I consume. I don't want to call it a diet because diets make me feel like I am fat, so I am going to call it a "lifestyle makeover". I refuse to count calories because I think it is a waste of time. So I am going to listen to my body and eat the foods that make me feel good. As much as I want to lose a little weight (who doesn't?), my main goal is to feel good. So I really want to cut out the fried food and really limit the amount of sugar I intake. I am going to try to substitute the foods I normally eat with healthy alternatives. For example, instead of using the regular Vanilla Creamer in my coffee, I am going to substitute it with the Fat-Free International Delight Vanilla creamer. By making little substitutions here and there, I think it will dramatically make a difference in the way my body feels.

I think my biggest problem is finding things to eat while I am on the go and at work. I find myself mindlessly eating in my cubical lately, and it really needs to stop. Here are some good healthy snacks that are great on the go:
  • Trail mix - great protein!
  • String cheese (low fat)
  • Apple and peanut butter
  • Yogurt
  • Whole wheat crackers
  • Bananas
  • Baby Carrots
  • Also, water and green tea are great options to take the edge off hunger!

Also, I have found, I can eat healthy all I want, but the key is knowing when to put down the fork! I am going to really try to listen to my body, and to not eat if I am not hungry. Portion control is the key to maintaining my new "lifestyle".

Wish me luck! :) -JRTRUNR

1 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica, cool blog :) I totally love checking people's blogs out :) I would suggest trying out vanilla soy milk or just plain old 1/2 and 1/2 for your coffee creamer. Those other creamers actually have no dairy in them at all! I am a firm believer that if we just eat what God has given us to eat we will be just fine. Our bodies were designed to be able to process and glean nutrients from God-given food (plants and animals) and then when we give it stuff that's overly processed, modified, and chemically altered it doesn't really know what to do with it. So my suggestion would to be use real cream, or soy cream so your body can process the way God intended and gain much more nutrients from those creams than the International Delight stuff.
    Sorry if that was really out of place to say all that, its just something I'm really passionate about :)

    Here are the links to my favorite blogs on healthy/natural eating and living, if you want to, check them out, they're amazing.
    http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/
    http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/

    also check out reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, its super great.

    Anyway, good luck training and good for you for not "dieting" but just making healthy alternative choices!!

    ReplyDelete